What is a child supposed to know and be able to when they join preschool?

counting ... how far? Just counting or also recognizing the numbers? What about the alphabet? My husband just said that our dd should be able to write her own name when she goes to preschool in august. She'll have just turned 4 then or she'll be behind all the others? Is that so? Where does he get that idea from? I think it's a lot to ask from a 4 y o: Jessica-Penelope. + family name? I know you can teach your kids a lot while playing, but I also don't want to push her too much. They grow up so fast anyway.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No.
    That is what first grade is for.
    It's not age-appropriate to teach her academics.
    She can learn to sort laundry, help fold. To knead dough, make soup with you.
    She can play and will be learning through her play.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Mine just required that they were potty trained. Preschool cant have many more requirements! If they want them to know all their letters, numbers, colors ect before they come there, then what exactly are they going to teach them? LOL!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Pre-school means they make the children ready to the big school. Your child doesn't have to know anything like Einstein. Anyway the best way to find out what is the requirement for her to call up her pre-school and ask what should she be able to do. But if they accepted her to go there than probably your daughter can do everything they want her to do. Call up the school just for your husband sake:P Mahw:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 3:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Nothing! It's just daycare with structure and circle time. They'll teach 'em what they need to know.

Unless ur talking about a crazy Manhattan preschool. They require IQ tests, interviews, etc.

And about 50% or so want them potty trained or at least close to it. Depends on the school
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My daughter is in preschool and they just wanted to make sure she can recongize what is similar what is different, colors and pointing to a picture matching with the tester would say. One definite requirement is to be potty trained. My daughter is 3 and they are teaching her how to write the G in her name and they will work with her until she is in kindergarten where it will be required to know how to write her name.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My three year old is in preschool, and as bad as it sounds, he didn't know squat. You could teach him to count to five one day and the next day he forgot. We put him in preschool, and he has learned so much! I think that them learning with other children their age, not just plain old mom and dad at home helps so much. At the preschool we attend, they put learning into doing. They do crafts where they have to glue the number to the number that matches, they have a picture and they identify what it is and what letter it starts with. It has done wonders!!! I highly recommend children going to a preschool class.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 8:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• on the name writing: when my kids started preschool name recognition and then writing the 1st name was among the first things they were taught there. It's a lot more about learning to sit quietly, share, raise your hand, respect the teacher, and so on than it is academics. It's preparing them for kindergarten when the real learning begins. When she gets to kindergarten the teacher will expect/hope/pray she's been in a preschool environment and has learned some self control, waiting, taking turns, raising hand to speak, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Preschool? A child goes to preschool FOR school readiness. there's nothing she needs to "know" academically before starting. What does she need to know before going? Potty training. She needs to be able to tend to some self-care needs on her own. If she can deal with snaps/buttons and zippers on her pants, for example, you're in good shape. She needs to be able to put a coat on and if she can zip it, snap it or button it, all the better because when it's time to head to a playground outside, the teacher can only get to so many kids. ;) The rest of it? Why, that's what you GO to preschool to learn. My 2 went to a preschool that believes in experiential, interactive learning - sometimes it looks like play, other times like art or song or story time or puzzles or experiments. Most importantly, they learn to take direction and function in a school setting without mom or dad around. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I got a book from walmart that said everything your child should know by pre-school it has coloring pages numbers bigger smaller in front and behind my DD was just tested to go to early kdg. and passed
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 1:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Aah heck, just let her have fun! If you do too much, she'll be bord before she gets there and loose interest easily. However, by the time they are four, they should know how to do they're ABC's, identify colors, numbers 1-20. When she goes to kindergarten, she learn how to write her name. Now you can start teaching them new languages at age two. Look into Montessori teaching...They have them work on motor skills, language, identification, etc... but again, why? If they are too advanced school becomes a bore and you've already lost them. Right now, they should be having fun! Going on nature walks, seeing a snail, a worm, butterflies, birds, and other fuzzy things. LOL Have fun!

toddler boy

WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 3:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011