Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transfer to 2 yr community college or 4 yr?

I am trying to figure out what I want to do after I graduate college next year. Should I transfer to a 2 yr nursing program or a 4 yr college? The 2 yr college is close to home and less expensive but.....if given the opportunity should I take my pick of better schools and get a masters.


Asked by Collegemommy910 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in

Level 16 (2,875 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I deleted my answer that I had already so edited it so I didnt get to see you posted a response. If you are graduating with an AA then I would do the transfer to a 4 yr college because it will take you 2 yrs to get your BSN rather than 2 yrs to complete an RN at a associates degree level. RN at a community college usually takes 4 yrs, 2 yrs in general requirements and then the nursing classes or 2 yrs with classes through the summer. Where as in the 4 yr school it will take two years without summer to get your BSN since you already have an associates your gen ed classes and electives will have already been fuffilled. Either way you will have your gen ed done and will require 2 yrs, so it will be better to go to the 4 yr and get a higher degree. Being farther from home will pay off in the end if that is what you really want to do.OR do the 2 yr closer to home and when you start working most employers will pay your school to con

    Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

  • I'm kind of confused, did you mean after you graduate high school? If you're graduating college, then wouldn't you get a Master's instead of go to another four year school? If you meant high school, I would suggest the four year college and then the nursing program. I have a lot of friends who went the nursting route to make more money quicker, but then down the line they wished they had a BA or MA. Definitely talk to advisors at your school and the schools you're interested in. Good luck!

    Answer by lexi8622 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

  • I will be graduating from a community college with an AA degree. I guess my question is take a chance on longer education, farther from home or play it safe and just to the 2 yr program.

    Comment by Collegemommy910 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

  • If you are graduating from college with a degree in something else and wanting to enter the nursing field I would do the BSN program and not RN. The BSN is the 4 yr degree option but if you already have a bachelors degree in another field you are able to do an accelerated BSN program and it is usually just one year to get your BSN (they use the credits you already have to put you on a fast track)rather than going to a community college just for an associate in RN and that would take more time.

    OR... You can do an accelerated MSN program. This also requires a bachelors in a field other than nursing. It combines the BSN and MSN and you complete it in 2 yrs. Google accelerated BSN or MSN and you should find information all over the internet. I too was also interested in this after graduating with a bachelors in accounting. I am still looking into it and applied to several schools already. Good Luck !

    Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

  • Oh gotchya, then I would definitely say transfer to a four year college and get your BA. That's what I'm doing (then law school). These days you really need higher education for most jobs. AA's don't get you very far, and BA's only get people so far as well. Now people definitely prefer Master's degrees and what not. It's much easier to transfer into a four yr school right away then wait and go back later. That's just my advice though, I would not play it safe. You can always go back and do that two year program but I would just go for it and leave your comfort zone :D

    Answer by lexi8622 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011