Last one for the day... Did you know that some people with Autism, are happy?

Most neurotypicals (who aren't artists or children) will probably never notice the beauty in the patterns on a cracked sidewalk, or the gorgeous way the sun reflects off an oil slick after the rain. They'll probably never know what it's like to immerse yourself in a subject and learn everything about it, and the beauty of having all those facts lined up. They'll probably never know what it's like to flap their hands in happiness, or lose yourself in the feel of a cat's fur. There are lovely things about being autistic, too, just as there must be about being neurotypical. Oh, make no bones about it: It's difficult. The world's not set up to operate with autistic people in mind; and autistic people and their families face prejudice every day. But being a happy autistic person isn't "being brave" or "making the best of it". It's quite simply being happy. You don't have to be normal to be happy

http://www.neurodiversity.com/autistic_distinction.html

kaileymom79

Asked by kaileymom79 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree this is a great post! My son is happy and he says happiest when he is able to share a fact from the guiness book of world record with a complete stranger!..lol
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• As a mom of a child on the spectrum I say Nice Post!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Love this!!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm also the mom of a wonderful young man living with autism. Thank you for this post! My son is happiest when he can share what he's learned from watching PBS. His favorite thing to watch is History Detectives!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011