Why is it, that in some parts of the world baby girls count less or even get killed when born?

It doesn't make sense to me! All the children that will be born do come from a woman's womb. You NEED them to continue. To not have you family name extinct.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't understand it or know why they view girls that way, but it's their culture and there are plenty of things I do not understand outside of my culture. It's wrong and despicable behavior. I guess one reason is they see men as work horses and money makers and women as burdens who need to be taken care of.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 4:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Ther is a really good Doc on this on netflix. I don't remember the name! The thought is that Boys carry on the family name and care for their parents in old age. In a family that is only allowed one child it is seemingly important to have that boy to carry the name. It is still so for many families but not all. The people of China are becoming more educated but there is still a strong prejudice. It is so sad...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well that all depends on what part of the world you are specifically asking about. China did it because of their over population issue they were only allowed to have one child and boy was seen as better because they could carry on the family name etc. It also worked well to control the population because only the women could get pregnant so less women meant fewer children being born.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't get it either, I looked at both of my daughters as wonderful miracles, I don't see how anyone could not see children that way. It seems to me that the same cultures also think it's disrespectful for a woman to make any sound during childbirth, like the man should not even have to hear what she is going through. You can tell that men are the ones who made the rules of these societies. )c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• But mommy, I saw that one, it was good. I have a girl and I can't imagine being unhappy about it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Cultural factors come into play. For instance, in some cultures boys are the ones who care for families in old age. Girls join their spouses family instead. In some cultures it's traditional to give a dowry with a female child when they marry... having a lot of daughters means paying out a lot of dowries.

I don't understand it myself. My dh is south asian and I know his parents, though they don't think girl children are worthless, were far more excited by the birth of our son. Their response to us calling them to say we had a baby girls was, "Oh- well, that's alright." We weren't disappointed in the first place MIL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Because some people are sick and twisted.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011