how do i get my autistic son to sleep?

when i try to get him to sleep there are lots of nights he will not sleep. he jumps all night, beats on the walls and turns on and off lights in the whole house trying to wake the whole house. i have tried melatonin, rocking him, and music.

jfur76

Asked by jfur76 at 4:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i hear u thats just the way my son is too, they'll be checking him on nov21 to see if hes got autism or not, hopefully he doesnt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Put a monitor in his room, childproof the door knobs and remove/loosen the light bulb when you put him to bed. Rocking him and music are probably both very stimulating to a child with Autism. I would eliminate those. Try a vibrating mat (like you buy to go in a chair/car) for 10 min before bed. No tv or movies for 2 hours before. Give a warm bath, cuddle time and read a book. I have also seen swaddling work for older children with Autism. Most parents accomplish this by allowing the child to sleep in a flannel or stretchy material sleeping bag. And keep trying the melatonin (give it the same time every night at least 1.5 hours before bed). Some parents also try small amounts of Benadryl but I wouldn't do that w/o consulting the Dr.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2008