should i be doing this?

my work REQUIRES me to lift garbages when it is my duty to do so.
is this right? im 14 weeks pregnant! and they don't even care!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You shouldn't lift anything over 30 lbs according to an OB I had when I was pregnant with my son. Yet in some parts of the world women who are pregnant lift heavy things and are fine. I would talk with your doctor about this and maybe have him/her write you a note to show your boss.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Probably not ok-- you should get a note from your doctor and stop lifting anything heavy right away.
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 5:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• it's also not fair, because when these other girls at work were pregnant, they didnt have to do garbages at all. they would assign garbages to someone else who isnt pregnant. and able to lift. i just think it's unfair. i go to the doctor the 17th so i will get a note then =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• watch your back,it sounds like they are trying to get rid of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• that is so wrong , get a note from your Dr. and give it to them they cant make you lift them if you have a note and can still do the rest of your job and they would be in huge trouble if they fired you because of that reason mostly if they didnt make the other women do that when they were pregnant. take care of yourself and your baby i wouldnt risk anything.

sdeignan

Answer by sdeignan at 7:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• How heavy are they? That is the question.... And then if they are too heavy, you can get a doctor's note and talk to your bosses about the situation. I don't know what their legal obligations are, but I am sure it depends on the specific circumstances of the job and the company, etc. The first step would be to talk to your doctor, and then to talk to your employer.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I guess it depends on how heavy the garbage is. What type of place do you work for? If it's just emptying garbage cans full of paper products(like in an office) then I think you'd be alright. If it's heavy then ask someone else to lift it.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 8:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Get a dr note. If you are unable to fullfill job duties temporarily. Your job cannot make you do something that is potentially harmful if notifies,,, properly. Some women I work with can't lift a loaf of bread because they are with child-- AS IF.. But reasonable accomodations can be made.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008