how long is a frozen turkey good for?

We got a turkey for Thanksgiving last year and it's been in our deep freeze since then! We're getting ready to get another one from DH's work. Would the one in our deep freeze be okay to eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Food & Drink

• http://www.ochef.com/850.htm

I didn't want to answer until I knew for sure, so here you go

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Also check out the USDA website. They have tons of information about things like that along with how long it is good after it is cooked and refrozen, etc.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 7:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Thanks for asking that question, I was going to post it today. I actually have 2 in my freezer from last year. We're only having my MIL and her BF for dinner so I think by adding butter and fresh herbs under the skin it will add the flavor that may have been lost during the freeze.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't know if it'd be okay or not.. But I'm sure the taste would be different either way.. that horrible freezer taste..
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Fear not, it would be perfectly safe to eat. And, if it was stored properly, (i.e. proper freezer temp, wrapped well to avoid freezer burn), it should taste fine too, although it may be a bit drier than usual. I'd consider brining the bird if you cook it. It will restore the moisture and add flavor.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2008