Last name drama/help?

when a married woman goes to have a baby does not the baby get the husbands last name weither shes using it or not?

a friend is due any day and we got into it cuz she wants to give the baby her maiden name even though shes married. i cant get her to see that the baby will have her husbands last name even though shes not using it. dosnt the marriage automatically determin the babys last name?

ashleywilkerson

Asked by ashleywilkerson at 4:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Baby Names

• This is something that needs to be talked about between her husband and her. I personally think the baby should get the fathers last name if he's in the picture espeically if they are married. Dont you think the child will question on they don't have daddys last name?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You can give a baby any last nae you want. You can even make up a last name if you prefer. The baby doesnt have to have either the mothers or the fathers last name
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No, it is within her right to give the child either her own last name, her husband's last name, or a hyphenated version of the two. The latter seems to be happening more and more lately in my circle of friends.
    JessiFaye

Answer by JessiFaye at 4:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree with mommy of two, that should be discussed between her and her husband.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When i had my daughter i gave her my maiden name, there was no way i was going to give her, her fathers name since he didnt want her in the first place.
    jessalynne

Answer by jessalynne at 4:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yeah, make poor children more miserable than they are now:) I wouldn't be happy if I would be the father who married to the mum and my child doesn't even get my name (even if it half of mother maiden name half of the dad's family name. We are talking about bad guys and what to do with them. But honestly girls if you would be the dad and the mum would say to you: back off babes, the baby gets my name, how would you feel. Especially the court tend to ask the question why the child didn't get the daddy's name. I would be really aware of if it is actually my child at all if I would be the dad.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 4:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The baby will get whatever name SHE decides. She can name her baby whatever she wants. What are her reasons behind not wanting the baby to have the husbands last name?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If I could do it all over again, I'd give my babies my maiden name too!
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You can give your view point but in the end it's their problem to figure out.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The baby can have any last name you want it to have, whether you're married or not. I personally would not give my child my maiden name if I'm already married to the baby's father. If I wasn't married, the decision of the baby having the father's last name or mine would be based on how big of a part the father is going to play in my child's life. I think this is something that should be decided between your friend and her husband. I just don't understand why she wants to give the baby her maiden name in the first place. If she wants to keep that name alive, she could make it into the baby's middle name or something if it's not something outrageous.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011