Are there any sayings or words from the area you live in just screaming to be made fun of?

I'm not from east Texas, so when we moved here, I was amazed at the difference in language. And, I quickly became aware of certain words that were so easy to make fun of it was pathetic. My favorite word to make fun of is "carried", the word they use for "took." Typical conversation: them: "I carried the family down to Houston Saturday", me: "Well, if you'd put them in a car and drive them, it'd be a lot less trouble and pain." LOL. I know, it's corny, but I love it! The other word I love is "yonder." Is that even a word? "Where do you live?" "Over yonder." Oh, and another of my favorites: "I tell ya what!" Here in east Texas, that's a complete sentence! " I tell ya what", and the tourists are going "what?" , and we go "I just told you." LOL. What are some from your areas.

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Dueces!!!! Come on people, just say Peace lol
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When some ask us in south Louisiana where something is, we reply with, "Down da road." We know exactly where that is too! We also say, "How's ya momma and dem?"
    Water becomes "Wata"
    Sink becomes "Zink"
    New Orleans is "N'awlins"
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 5:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• LOL. That's great soon2b! And, kaileysmommy, I agree with you.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• In my area of NC, we go 'down' to everywhere - even Canada. You go 'down the road' and never 'up the road', and the we are always 'fixin' to' to do something. We still go 'to town' even though there hasn't been a store worth shopping at 'in town' for many years now. We go to 'the mall' because there is just 1.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The MD folks say
    "Y'all"
    we call our girl friends "hon"
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well this is one that most people catch( COME HERE) WE SAY (COMERE)
    ILOVEMYBOYS704

Answer by ILOVEMYBOYS704 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Where do you stay? I guess this means where do you live...very weird for me. I don't use the expression. I don't notice much around here, but I do notice moms on this sight saying things that kill me. My personal fave is "that dog won't hunt" I find this so stupid.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Everyone makes fun of LA and the way people talk here. I think the most notable is that no driving distance is ever measured in miles, always minutes!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011