What if the mother doesn't want the father's last name on the birth certificate?

Will this affect when she files for child support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I am not mistaken it will make things take longer and cost more. It can then be claimed you're unsure of paternity and you'll be stuck w/ DNA testing, further delaying $$$ support
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Not at all. Name doesn't prove paternity, DNA does. My son has my last name and there was no issue with child support or anything else for that matter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No, the court just needs to do a DNA to prove he's the father and he will have to pay child support. But he can also fight the courts about changing the child's last name if he will be on the birth certificate and be paying child support
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• no the courts will man date a paternity test..
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 5:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• if it is really his kid AND you'll be having his wages garnished I hope you have the kindness to be generous with visitation since he doesn't even get to be involved in the naming process.
    Anonymous

• If you mean the child having the father's last name? Not at all. As the mother, it is your choice. It should be whatever yours it. I was stupid and gave my dd her dad's last name. If you end up getting married later you can always change it but once it is his, it will be hard to change
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• anon, his also didn't have to be in labor, should he have shared having to do that too?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Its not just YOUR kid...how about you discuss this with him!
    Anonymous

• you can name your kid "Man on the Moon" and it doesn't affect anything to do with paternity, child support, or anything legal. If you don't put the father's name on the birth certificate in the "father's name" that will cause you alot of problems. As long as the father signs paternity papers his name will be added on to the BC, and that is all that is needed for CS and legal stuff, or the court can order a DNA test and add his name. the baby's last name has NOTHING to do w/ paternity.
    All that said, I agree with Anon....just beacuse you carried and birthed this baby it is NOT yours alone he has DNA from 2 people....a baby is a person not prpoerty.....sheeeesh
    Ascott727

Answer by Ascott727 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No giving the baby any last name you want even a made up on has nothing to do with child support etc. And to the others I am sorry, but if I am not married to the man and have no plans on doing so then the baby is going to have MY last name. I have many friends whose mother's had several kids with different men and never married any of them and everyone in the house has a DIFFERENT last name and it gets confusing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011