34 weeks and about 5 to 6 cm dilated? should i be in the hospital? adult content

i am currently 34 weeks along. i had been sitting at 2 cm for weeks. then the past few days i started having contractions. they start out just tightening then progress to pretty painful then end up slowing down after about and hour or two. i had some major contractions last night and i thought for sure this was it. but they stopped again. i didnt want to go to the hospital just to get checked so i did a cervical exam on my self (no judging, bash me i report u) any ways i was able to insert two fingers in to the cervix and spread them as far apart as the fingers we able to spread. and when i held the same spread fingers up to a cervical dilation chart it was between 5 and 6 cm. kinda scared me. u think i should go to the hospital the next time i have contractions for the steroid shots? or just to get checked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think it could be time to send that baby of yours the official eviction notice! Go to the hospital!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'd go in and get checked...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• if you really think your 5-6 then you should go get checked by a medical professional....
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Call your midwife.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes I'd go or at least call your doctor.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• First I do NOT think checking yourself is a big deal AT ALL! I really don't know WHY some women make such a big deal of it. It's no more dangerous (and actually probably SAFER since you can FEEL what you are doing to yourself) than a doctor's examination. As long as your fingers are cleaned you probably have less a chance of getting an infection than from a glove that's been sitting in a nasty hospital or doctor's room for God knows how long in the box.

ANYWAYS....YES you should go into the hospital. Just tell them that you were having some contractions and that you are concerned you might be in early preterm labor. Have them check and monitor you.

**I probably wouldn't tell them that you checked yourself because they might give you crap about it but that's up to you. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    Anonymous

• I think you should call your doctor or go to the hospital. My doctor told me once I was 4 cm there was no turning back so if your a 5 or 6 they should keep you. Good luck!!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 5:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would def get checked asap.
    KaseFace

Answer by KaseFace at 6:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• First off, no one should bash you for doing that. It is very cool, I didnt know how that worked. I would go to get checked out though. That's plenty far along.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would go get checked just to be sure and safe. 34 weeks is still a bit too early to deliver. You may need the shot to develop the lungs completely.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011