Have you made any steps toward making sure your child does not become Obese?

Just wondering. The amount of Obese people is seriously growing. Obesity is luckily something we can prevent, so why not start our children off with a great start.

obesity in teenagers aged 12 to 19 years has increased from 5% to 18.1%

obesity among children aged 6 to 11 years was 6.5%, in 2008 it reached 19.6%.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

Sports is a great way to start, non impact sports especially, soccer, swimming, volleyball, dance, etc...Even if you have toddlers, there are non-organized sport/playgroups you can tend just to start a healthy habit. 

Think of this: Consuming empty calories makes it harder to stay healthy.  As kids get less active they aren't burning as many calories and that is when Obesity sets in.  Think about how many hours a child has in class sitting...Now couple that with, how is a child expected to burn off those donuts, soda, chips, etc. 

I urge you to see this chart  at the link below...you can see what you personally can do to help get fit as well... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• Oh yes!!! I made my own baby food as soon as she could eat it. Nothing but fresh and organic. And as she has started to grow, she eats lots of fruit and veggies everyday. And we expose her as many different healthy cuisines as we can. She will try anything, even loves tempura veggies. We don't keep sweets in the house.
    I also had a rule that she was not allowed to have any sugar until she was over one. No candy, chocolate milk, cake, ice cream..nothing. And now, she could really care less for junk food. My mom offered her a donut hole and she said no and asked for a banana.
    We also play actively all day long. And usually go to parks or for a ride on the bike daily.
    With all the data on how many children are becoming obese, i can't understand why ALL parents aren't more proactive in helping their children lead healthy lives. Our children's generation is the first that is not expected to outlive their parents. That's scary.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• my husband and i are both gym, health, and fitness freaks. we do not have garbage food in the house and we work out every day. we are setting an example for our kids to live a healthy lifestyle.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• keeping him active.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Well, I live in CO. My dd is 23 percentile in weight and 112 percentile in hight. I have never specifially thought about obesety, but try to give my daughter healthy food and snacks. Im very "food group oriented" and make sure my DD eats all her food groups every day.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 5:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My son and I work out five days a week I have 70 more pounds to lose but we have enocuraged them by my working out and losing the weight myself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I sure have. I'm prett prous of my DD's eating habits. My DH & i are very anal though about what kinds of foods we allow in the house. With the way we raise her to eat, she will never be obese. For her age, she is very food conciouse. She knows what is & isn't healthy. She does not like sugary foods, which her Dr. says is because she is not used to it. Too many parents allow their kids SO MUCH sugar & then kids crave it. My DD is not a fan of sugar at all. She is also vegetarian. We have a garden every year & cook all our meals from scratch. She helps me prepare every meal & is learning how to cook well for herself. She is on a good path for a healthy lifestyle.

I have no doubt in my mind my DD will be a healthy adult. Her food habits are only good ones & i take lots of pride in that. She is 9.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i know i had like 1,000 typo's....oy...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think about it often as I am obese. My BMI is a 31, DH's is only 18. The kids are running at 12-13. My 6 yo is 2lbs underweight (she only weighs 39lbs). My 7yo is on the low side of average. My kids are very active and don't snack much. I try to get my 6yo to drink kool aid but she will only take water. I am glad they are naturally lean.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think Utah is wrong..... We aren't the leanest state. To be honest I see nothing but obese people around.
    My children get fresh fruits and veggies everyday. They dont get junk food. We are very active.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I monitor their BMI's at dr visits.

During the school year they're in 1 extra curricular activity, 2 in the summer. we swim, sled, walk, bike, etc as much as possible.

we don't buy crap to feed them and don't buy lazy toys like power wheels cars and other sedentary/sit on your butt gifts.

They have no taste for soda and we use food as more of fuel than joy. Treats are treats, cake is for birthdays not just because it's a random tuesday. juice OR fruit w/ breakfast, not both. etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2011