What do you think about cloth diapers? What brands are best? How many do you need for twins? We are having twins in a couple of months and I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to save money?

hodgsonkc

Asked by hodgsonkc at 5:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried it with my first born and it was horrible but then I had a husband that never helped with anything and often left me stranded for days/week at a time with no washer/dryer at that time, Now it wouldnt be so bad but I still preferr throw away diapers.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 5:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• IMO its not really saving much because you either have to use baby diaper service or wash them yourself which takes up water, electricity. plus its not better for baby's skin as they are touching the wetness . I have seen more diaper rashes on cloth diapered babies then disposables. They do make Green brands if you are trying to go that route, if its more a $ situation I always found the best prices at Costco fro Huggies and it made life much simpler and baby drier esp at night.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I prefer it, it does save you money definitely. Especially if you're not phased by buying used ones - not as disgusting as it sounds!!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 5:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I was thinking about cloth diaper before my baby boy was born, and thank god I didn't buy any. I can't imagine using a cloth diaper and have to wash it all the time, especially you are having twins. diapers are always on sale so it's not so bad, and cut some coupons to save a little. A lot of times they poo poo/peepee right after you changed their diapers so you have double to work if you use cloth.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I love cloth diapering!

We use GroVia diapers. They have disposable liners or washable cloth liners so you can do both. They have a "one size" cover so they adjust and grow with the baby.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• And as far as $$

We spent $400 on cloth diapers and that will last from birth to 35 lbs. We did huggies for a vacation and it was $40 for 1 week. So in 10 weeks of cloth, we were coming out ahead.

It's not extra work. If you are breast feeding, the poop can go right in the washer. It's one load of laundry every day. It's not like you have to fold it or put it away. We have a clean bin and a dirty bin. Just toss it in.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We use cloth and I love it! On the rare occasions that we do use disposables (when traveling), even my husband complains about them. We also use cloth wipes.

It definitely saves money. I haven't noticed too much of a change on the electric bill and there has been a $3 increase on our water bill. While cloth diapers are not great for the environment, IMO, they are the lesser of the two evils.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Check this All in Deluxe All in One Diaper from aBaby.com. You can increase the absorbency feature by stuffing in more of inserts. They have some unique fit and other features as well, that make it very comfortable for the baby to wear and stay in. I was recommended this by a friend. They are best and light on pockets too. Check this link: http://www.ababy.com/itempage.asp?CategoryID=654&mirid=0&itemno=11891

Timberthy

Answer by Timberthy at 4:30 AM on Jan. 4, 2011