Any suggestions to help potty train a 2 yr 3 month boy? We have been at it for 1 week and it is not going well.

hodgsonkc

Asked by hodgsonkc at 5:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A sticker chart was all that worked for my daughter. However she was ready and willing. If he isnt then be patient and try not to push. He will when he is ready. Get him some books and dvds and see how he responds. Its a good start =)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• What are you doing now? I have one the same age and havent started really yet but are soon. With my older son we put him on the potty backwards and it worked for him. I have also spent the whole day with him in the bathroom with salty snacks and lots of drink, books and toys and made it a party! He enjoyed it! DONT USE PULL UPS! THey are glorified diapers! put him on the potty every hour....just some ideas!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When my boys were being potty trained I made a game out of it. When they had to go potty I would put cheerios in the toilet and tell them to aim, lol It worked great! They couldn't wait to go potty! :)
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• sounds like he's not ready yet. wait a few more weeks and then try again. mine was almost 4 when he was fully trained including night. Dr's will say that it can take up to a year fro night time and they will let you know when they are ready for day.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My son was 3 years old when he potty trained himself. I let him decide. Sounds to me he is not ready. Most dr's will tell that if you have no progress within a week, stop and try again later.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm trying the same thingwith my 2yo. Ive tried charts, songs, making it seem like a game, etc, the problem with me is that he will tell me while he is going or afterwards. He doesn't tell me beforehand. I tried to make a big dealwhen he just sits on the potty, thinking that will motivate him to do more on the potty, but to no avail. I guess what others have said is true. We just have to wait until he is ready. Maybe its a boy thing cause at least for me, it was easier to train my dd.
    jadeeyes07

Answer by jadeeyes07 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• After one week? :-O Do not worry. Rome wasn't built in a day. There are good ideas above. Good luck. And really it won't work in one week. It probably won't work in months. But you will be there.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011