what are some good "my first garden tools" for a 3 year old?

My son was given some plastic ones and they didnt last long at all. I am considering starting a garden near springtime and my son loves digging I bet he'd love helping me! Any good garden tools out there for young children?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 5:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Look at Lowe's and see if they don't have some metal ones for children that would be a bit more durable. You may not find them now, but try looking closer to spring when they start getting in their gardening supplies. A rake and a hoe are the most user friendly for a little guy.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• just get him a regular small hand held shovel...my daughter has used that to play in the dirt since she was a year old and loves it...the plastic ones aren't as good and they know it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my daughter also LOVES to rake....get him a short plastic rake :) have fun!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Check out this whole page:) There are so many cool stuff for gardening here for kids.

http://www.amazon.com/ToySmith-Garden-Tote-with-Tools/dp/B00025EIZG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294010372&sr=8-3

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My mom got some really good ones at Target last spring - they had boys stuff and girls stuff, it was cheap yet good, and cute! Everything from tools to gloves to a tote to haul it all around...they usually start putting that sort of stuff out in late January here, so maybe you'll want to start checking soon, or even call and ask when they start putting it out. Wal-Mart usually has some stuff, but not like Target!
    Anonymous