Are you a grandmother?

Iam a first timer and I love it. the baby is 14 months, he lives in another state, how do you cope when they are in another state? I miss him so much

kathy067j

Asked by kathy067j at 5:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep. Six times and the 7th is due in June. Thankfully, they all live in the same town as their granddaddy and I do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I will be nanna until I am 78 then I will be grandma In March I will be nanna for the first time! Yay
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes, I sure am. I have 2 biological granbabies, and 4 who joined our family when my daughter married their daddy! I love all 6, and think being a Grandma is the greatest!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have two grandkids and I love them more then anything. They were not planned, but loved more then any other babies in the world (lol). I dont know how I would cope if they werent just up the road from me? My mom lives out of state and she coped by planning as many trips here to see the kids, vacations and things like that. She also bought them things all the time, and got them all computers when they were old enough so she could email with them and now that they are bigger she can text them etc.

Answer by gemgem at 6:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I didnt get to spend as much time as needed with my first grandson cause he took so long to come out and greet us and I too live out of state, my daughter and I dont agree on much either but we both get the needs of a child being way more impotant than anything else so she is either almost constantly sending me pics. through the phone and/ or calling back/forth so my 3 month old grandson can hear mawmaw and I can hear him chatting back, -she tickles him and stuff to get him giggling too,........ He now has been reaching for the phone and can hold it near is face/head while he talks to me and even when I am aggravated at her- you know what the best problem solver fo rthat is???- her having phone on speaker and I hear her and him reactig ot one another while I just listen, only other best medicine is my LO and hearing her/him react/play/talking.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 6:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yes, I am a grandmother. My grandson also lives in another state....he is 4 years old....How do I cope? I just do because I have no choice... :) It is hard because you miss so much, but when I do see him, it is lovely.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Im WAY too young to be a granny only in my early 40s.... but my mom and mil are out of state grannies and I can tell you first hand what to do and what not to do to keep in touch.

1) VISIT and dont complain the whole time your there about the cost of the trip or that it is "your vacation too" so you have to be entertained 24/7.

2) Have them VISIT and dont constantly tell the child dont touch.  Or make the chiild parade infront of your friends with out giving him/her something kid friendly to do at some point.

3) Dont tell mom she is doing it wrong.  You can gently tell her what you found easiest.... but dont harp on how she is screwing up.

grrrr......... those are the ones that come to mind.  (btw... I intend to be like my mil and NOT my mom)

Anonymous

• im not the grandma but i live in the same state as my mother in law. actually like 4 blocks away they are good about seeing the kids. ds and dd r the 1st grandkids on both sides so while i dont live near my mom she does get to see pics of the kids everyonce in a while. not to often because she doesnt want to call her self gma because she is only 47 so. ya its hard. thank goodness for the inlaws though
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 6:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2011