Discipline

I have a 2 year old daughter who is very stubborn when she wants something. She will repeat what she wants and will start to whine and scream and cry when she doesn't get it. I have tried calmly talking to her, and time outs in the corner, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

MamaSPScott

Asked by MamaSPScott at 6:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to give her something else. If you start to talk about something else, or play a game, she will forget about the thing she wants.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• She is testing you and her boundaries right now... ignore her after telling her no, and don't ever give in once you say no!! Eventually it will sink in.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Sometimes you just have to let them cry. Don't cave (I'm guessing you're not), or it will teach her that this behavior works. When she starts this, you can ignore her and walk away (yes she'll follow you, just keep ignoring). Say no one or two times, but don't feed into it any further than that. She's 2, so she doesn't yet have the self control to not do this, but be consistent, and she will eventually learn. I'm dealing with the same thing with DS, who is also 2. No fun! Hang in there, mama, this too shall pass.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My daughter just turn 3 and she can be a handful. Its pretty normal for 2 years old since they dont know how explain thier emotions. One thing is dnt give in u do it once it just becomes a vicious cycle. When she does throw a fit let her. Let her scream kick cry and fall on the floor. If u ignore a tranturm it will last less than 2 mins, and when she done with her fit calmly tell her ur reason for y she cant have want she wants explain it to her and try to help her explain her emotions. Like I know ur upset hunny but moms making dinner and u can have a fuirt snack after
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my daughter will do that too sometimes. I just ignore it. if you give into it at all,even just once she will think she can get away with it all the time. And I have learned that trying to calm her down and stuff like that will make it worse because it is just giving her attention which is what she wants. so if my dd throws a fit I just ignore it for a little bit, and then when she has a break in her whining (lol) I will talk about something so random to distract her. works like a charm every time!! But every kid does respond differently to discipline, so you kinda just have to try out a bunch of things until you figure out what works for you
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Just like they say tell her no and let her cry and just keep doin what u were doin
    kriss18

Answer by kriss18 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• For her age, distraction works the best IMO.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2011