so my 17 yr old is about to be 18 in 3 weeks and i think hes gonna move out.

how do i keep him from making the biggest mistake of his young life????????????

stefaugie

Asked by stefaugie at 6:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• You cant. My daughter moved out at 18 yrs old, granted she already had a baby but there wasnt much I could do about it. She ended up moving back home. I have an 18 yr old son who also moved out when he turned 18 last May. Nothing I could do about it either. He just moved back in with me 2 weeks ago. You have to let them make their own mistakes and choices. You can counsel them, advise them, ask them to try and understand, but they will only gain experience in life on their own, through their own experiences and mistakes. Its hard momma, but its a new chapter in parenthood you are about to embark on. Just remember you raised him, and hopefully he has enough of you and all the good you taught him so he can be a good person and come home when the time is right.

Answer by gemgem at 6:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• you don't... just be there to pick up the pieces later - it's all part of the process

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Why would it be a mistake?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• cause he hasnt gratuated yet,and im afraid if im not there to push him then he will just quit.he is off on christmas break this week and his gf mom got them a dog for christmas and he has been there all week playing house.lol thats what i call it.he is only a junior (LATE B DAY AND I HELD HIM BACK A YEAR)
    stefaugie

Comment by stefaugie (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think at a certain point, you have to trust that you've raised him right and that he will stay in school. I graduated high school and started college at 17, and moved out on my 18th birthday. My husband moved in with me 3 months before he started his senior year of high school, and we got married a week after he started his senior year. I know my parents probably thought I was insane, but they had done their job. Good luck to you and your son.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You can't. My 23yo was 18 and in the 10th grade (held him back in the 1st grade and then he failed the 10th grade) and he had decided to quit school the day after he turned 18 (his bday was on a Sunday) so he moved out the day he turned 18 (moved in w/his gf and her son who was not his son), quit school the next day and got a full time job. And we couldn't do a thing to stop it.
    Anonymous

• i have the same thing down here my son will be 18yrs on jan 12 this has me freaking me out
    he won't go back to school to finish grade 11 &12 he wants to be boxer when he grows up that's great but he needs to go back to school just in case all but mom .we as parents have to let them go no matter what we say they are not going to listen so they fall hope to god they learn from their mistakes .if he moves out make sure you let him know that door will always be open so he can come back home
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 4:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You can't just go with it. The more you tell him not to, the more he will. Don't worry he'll be back when the money runs out
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• He won't be gone long.Kepp his room ready for him.Let him learn from his mistakes while he is young.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2011

• So how will he support himself?
    bertie4

Answer by bertie4 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 7, 2011