My husband is thinking about joining the air force?

is it a good idea for are family, how is the housing? Will it be fun for my kid? i just need to know how every thing is on base for are family and what it will be like.

katkashka

Asked by katkashka at 6:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Travel

• Housing and base really depend on where you wind up being stationed. Many bases offer everything that you need and make it so you really never have to leave the base. I wouldn't go as far as saying it would be fun for your little guy but it a way of life. They learn how to adjust well. Separations can be hard. It provides an income and great health care. The housing is okay we choose to live off base which you can do.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Has he taken the ASVAB for placement? I had read all branches of service have met their recruitment goals ~ is he just thinking of it, or is he being activtely recruited? I wish you and your DH the best, if you choose that direction.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I come from an Air Force family, I was in the Air Force, all my brothers were..... my husband was...... and I HATED every minute of it. It was horrible... if you want advice from someone who has been there I say DON"T DO IT!!!
    Anonymous

• I agree with melbornj... It really all depends on where you end up how the housing is. I have seen some really nice housing and some really crappy housing. We are living off base in a house right now and it has made for a nice change for us since most housing on base is at least duplexes if not more. A lot of the housing has been privatized and is now owned by civilian companies so they are renovating and building new housing. As for your kids and your family...I think it is what you make of it...you definitly need a positive outlook and to be able to take things in stride...it is a way of life and a big change from civilian life. My kids get excited about new moves, new places, and new people every few years. The hardest part is not being able to really control where you will end up so you may be far away from family so you need to learn to rely on your "military family" for a lot things. If you have other questions pm me :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It can be scary to wait to find out where you will be stationed. I was nervous that we were going to PCS to Japan because I am such a home body and had lived in FL my whole life. When my husband joined the Marines, it was a huge change from our lifestyle before but I really enjoy it.. We have lived off base and are now moving on base because they have built some really nice 2 story townhomes and move on the 10th. My son is only 22 months so the change hasn't really affected him yet but I have made so many friends and my son has buddies here in NC now too and I am personally happy with my lifestyle. BTW, insurance can be a pain....make sure to REALLY understand it. Also, I'm sure you know all too well but there will be a lot of lonely times ahead..
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My dad joined the Air Force when I was 3. (Many years ago!!) I loved the life. We had to move quite a bit, but we got used to it. We liked living on base (we were on nuclear bases, so they were "closed"), and my mom would tell you that it was the happiest time for my parents marriage. (They divorced 5 years after he got out.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:23 AM on Jan. 3, 2011