Why does my daughter act one way with me and another with her dad?

My daughter is very clingy to me and whiny. She wants to be constantly held by me and if dad tries she wants me. If I am out of the room and she is with her daddy, she plays on her own and rarely cries. When I enter the room she starts crying and runs to me to be held. What am I doing wrong?

CafeTaryn

Asked by CafeTaryn at 6:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nothing, she's textbook perfect :) Pushing limits, testing boundaries, and so on. She is smart enough to know different people have different rules and expectations. ... try and help them get together thru books, computer time games or something like that.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• You are doing nothing wrong Mom... Rather you are doing everything correct! It's natural for a child to want to be with his mother 24/7. That's that bond you have successfully formed with your child. Cherish it now... before long, she will not want anything to do with you!! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Do we have the same kid, lol? My daughter gives me fits!!! Clingy, whiney, can't even get up without having to be held, she wont even get out of the bed without calling me to come get her. With her Daddy, she gets up on her on and goes right to playing, no problem. It's crazy. They also don't show out in public like they do with me....wonder why?
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I also see nothign wrong here. My dd was the same way and I think it was because most of her time was spent with me. Now that she is getting older her dad is more hands on and shes less clingy with me. However she is still a Mama's girl. (she is 4)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My two year old used to to this too. If i walked out of the room, even walk outside to take the trash out, he used to cry to the point of holding his breath and turning blue. But if dad went to do it, he was fine. Now that dad and I are split up, at my house he is whiny, is always under my feet, always has to be in the same room with me, but with dad, he stays to himself, never whines, only comes to sit with them if he is called to do so. It is normal.
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011