Wpuld you like permanent bases in Afghanistan?

A leading GOP lawmaker on U.S. military policy says he wants American officials to consider establishing permanent military bases in Afghanistan.

Sen. Lindsay Graham of South Carolina says that having a few U.S. air bases in Afghanistan would be a benefit to the region and would give Afghan security forces an edge against the Taliban.

Graham tells NBC's "Meet the Press" that he wants to see the U.S. have "an enduring relationship" with Afghanistan to ensure that it never falls back into the hands of terrorists.

President Barack Obama plans to begin drawing down American forces in Afghanistan next year and hand over security to Afghan forces in 2014.

Obama has talked about an enduring presence in Afghanistan but not exactly what that would entail.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 6:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No way. They want our asses out of there and I dont see why we even have to be there
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• We have permanent bases in a lot of countries. I wouldn't mind having one there so we can keep an eye on the Taliban and Al Qaeda.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• American forces abroad have an opportunity to aid in stability to countries and their regions. A permanent presence could build our relationship with those in the region. We could offer more extensive training. When US expands to bases abroad, trade in that region has been documented to have increased. Historically, a military overseas 'permamenet' presence has deterred threats. Once established, our presence becomes crucial to peace, IMO..  I read a book by Kugler (I think) that said about removing ourselves from overseas bases, "could be destabilizing and could inflict major damage on common global security interests.."  I agree with this. I also agree with the idea that being located in some middle eastern nations allows us to international/military operations other than war (Bosnia, for example)... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• ALSO, I HAVE A BIG ISSUE WITH THE FACT THAT WE ARE ALL OVER THE WORLD...

I am sure the Pentagon will take that into consideration, when they make any decisions from here on out.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I am not surprised by this. I don't imagine it is Graham's idea though!

My husband is over there right now and while I am not happy about the prospect of bases I see it as necessary. The only people that don't want us over there are the Taliban, terrorists and corrupt govt officials. The general population has a much different view of the US and our presence there.

Like it or not having bases around the world is a good thing. It helps to promote stability and it gives us launching pads when we need them. Ladies there is never going to be world peace. I prefer we take the bad guys on on their soil not ours.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• good

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I had already assumed we would have.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't see a problem with it!  We're pretty much a presence in most of the corners of the world, so why not?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• So, I can see attributes to being permanently located in Afghanistan. Also, it would provide better living conditions (maybe) Some Korean Bases are disgusting because of budget cuts. The pros and cons would need to be analyzed by the experts. I think a debate and study within the DOD and Congress is a logical consideration.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Another option is to expand Sea-Basing. It focuses on Marines/Navy joint efforts (but can include all forces)... Sea Basing tends to be more MIssion specific.. humanitarian assistance? Forcible entry? Stability operations? And can be more costly, from what I have read.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011