Is it just me or do many of "kids" movies and shows seem not to be for kids these days?

Spiongebob is on Nickelodeon and I think its more for adults. Evev some of the Shrek movies. Cartoons just are not what they used to be.

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 6:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• You are not the only one that feels that way.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i agree. Things sure have changed from when I was a kid. I loved Looney Tunes.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think that we are just seeing the adult humor and assuming that are kids get it too. I see what youre saying but the things you notice are going right over their heads IMO
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• nope your not the only one!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• our* kids...lol not are kids!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I do not think that they have changed to much per say, we just notice the "adult" things in them more now. I know when I go back and watch movies and cartoons that I used to love when I was a kid I get shocked at how much adult content is in them.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My thoughts exactly Saysha! I was watching something on history channel about cartoons and kids shows. They were explaining that adult humor is added so that parents arent so bored watching with their kids lol .ITs so true and as I said...they dont know what we are understanding. Its over their heads
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Definitely.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I don't think so.

How many are old enough to remember the old Tex Avery or Spike Jones cartoons (the old Loony Toons.. cartoons)? Those were filled with quite a bit of adult humor.

Adult humor has always existed in many "children's" toons/shows/movies.. It's just that many of the "adult" jokes are missed when we are children. Unless you know of these "adult" things, you will not catch them/see them, that's why most kids do not "get" those things. Once has to understand the adult side of the jokes/situations in order to see that they are there. We adults see these things, and we make a big deal out of them, far more than our kids just "get" them. In many cases, adults are the ones who "see" things in cartoons/movies and make a big deal out of them when in fact the kids would have never "seen" ( much less understood them) those things on their own if they weren't pointed out by the outraged adult.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No. I recently watched "The Bad News Bears" with my kids. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The swearing and profanity had me blushing in front of my son. That was a movie from the '70's that I grew up with. Also the old cartoons like Tom and Jerry are so violent. In my opinion everything is much cleaner now. I love Spongebob and Shrek.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2011