Should I start giving 1st stage baby foods?

I have been giving my dd a little bit of rice cereal with her dinner bottle for a month now to get her used to using a spoon...She was fine eating it till about a week ago and now she won't really eat it. Should I start feeding her 1st stage baby foods and not give her the cereal anymore or should I just go back to giving her the bottle only?

It seems like she's ready for food though because she sits up on her own and she stares me down when I eat and grabs my food off my plate and tries to stick it in her mouth and she is 5 months 1 week old.

Hmmmmmmmm.....:

brookes_mom04

Asked by brookes_mom04 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try mixing a little food in with her cereal and see if she likes that.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• You should NEVER put cereal in a bottle and you also shouldnt give anything but breastmilk/formula for the first 6 months. Giving solids prior to six months can add harmful bacteria to the gut that can kill out the good bacteria.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• If she's been taking cereal from the spoon without tongue-thrusting it out, sitting up and showing interest in what you're eating, then yeah - she's exhibiting all of the signs of a baby who's ready to eat.

Since you're already giving her cereal (and not from a bottle, navy-wife, read more carefully, please!), then the 6-month thing is already moot. Doctors are now saying to wait 'til 6 months because of a possible link between earlier eating and increased food allergy rates.

So yeah, try her out on stage one foods, in my opinion. Just make sure to do each food for at least 4 days with no other foods (like cereal) presented at the same time. One "meal" a day and don't replace any of her usual formula or breastmilk feedings yet. This would just be in addition to any of those.

YAY! Food's fun! :D

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sorry, I did misread. My apologies.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my son was having cereal with the bottle at 2 1/2 months, he did great, try waiting a few days then try again with the cereal. I started a few days before 4 months with the 1st baby food, He was staring me down with food and making sucking motions and nosies, he can sit up, so i give him maybe a tablespoon every day, but just as an extra after his bottle. my baby book says if their ready you can start at 4 months (theres a checklist) if you wanna know i can give u the books name or the checklist. u know the best if you think she is ready, then go ahead. my son has been fine.
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh my son didn't like cereal with a spoon either he wouldnt eat it, idk maybe he thought it tasted bad idk lol
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I tried my daughter on 1st foods around 4 months and she was having a hard time figuring out if she was drinking or eating because the foods are so thin. After about a month of this, my ped told me switch to stage 2 and said its really common for kids to skip stage 1 altogether. She did much better the second we switched.

I don't think its too early to start, but just keep in mind that if the consistency is too thin, this might be the problem and you can always experiment with the consistency of cereal to see where your baby is at.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think you know your baby better than anyone and if you think your baby is ready trust yourself. I know some people say to wait until 6 mos., but if you just had liquid in your tummy wouldn't you feel hungry? Just make sure you start with the easiest to digest foods first and make sure you check for allergies. I started my son on cereal at 2 mos. because he was crying all the time because he was sooo hungry. I fed him from the spoon though, it was a little awkward at first but he got the hang of it. Best of luck!
    mikeysmomma1205

Answer by mikeysmomma1205 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think you could try another food. I just heard from a pediatrician that a good guideline for foods before 6 months is 1 cereal, 1 fruit and 1 vege.... I think it is what I will do with my son. Right now he only takes rice cereal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008