Calling all VEGITARIANS!!!!

My family has recently become vegitarian and really need help with meals, snacks and vitamins. Could you share some pointers with me about easy healthy meals to prepare or any vitamins or essenstial foods. Im a SAHM with a 5 and 2 year old boy and a 15 month old daughter. My husband goes to school full time and we are up for trying anything.

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 7:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I make veg or vegan meals as often as I can .. my kids fave entree is "chicken nuggets". very firm tofu patted dry and using the sharpest knife in the house sliced into perfect cubes. I then "shake and bake" style in a gallon bag. It takes trial and error to find the "batter" you'll life best. My kids cocktail is graham crackers, corn flakes, salt, pepper, and a little extra cinnamon. Baked 375 til they're firmed up and smell good and the middles are hot
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• There is much too much information for these little boxes. If you send me a message offlist, I will be happy to forward you nutritional information and recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm sorry, i don't know where to start. I was raised vegetarian but i now eat meat occasionally. DD is %100 vegetarian & has ben since birth. We are Hindu though, so we are big advocates of Dairy (it's a sattvic food). Although i do eat meat once in a while, i can still answer all of your questions. I would start with some easy vegetarian cookbooks. Just looking through them always gives me great idea's. But, don't get the super fancy ones. I admit that i never make anything from those fancy vegetarian books.

If your kids eat dairy, then it will help them with protien for sure. My Dr. told me just 4-8oz glasses of milk is enough protien in one day for my DD. But, she usually has only 2. She eats lots of beans (loves bean taco's) tofu, fake meat & LOTS of pasta. She actually has a very healthy diet. PM me if you have any questions, would LOVE to help!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Another thing, lots of parents raising vegetarian kids actually give them too much protien. They think that they need to over do it because they don't eat meat. What lots of people don't realize, is that so much stuff already has some protien in it, even some veggies. So definitely make a mental note of how many protien grams they are getting. I don't think too much protien is horrible, but it's just something my DD's Dr. pointed out to me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• ~uorn products are a great meat substitute. They have fake chicken, ground meat andturkey, you can replace the meat you used to eat with this stuff
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2011