first time gardener needs pointers, tips...everything! :)

gardening is in my blood but I have never done it before. I'd like to plant one this year! I live in south georgia. I could use all the pointers you have! And is there a "gardening for dummies" book? I'd like to do a veggie garden. I would like to grow some herbs but might stick to pots for them

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 7:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Here is a good website that has a lot of tips and tricks-

http://tipnut.com/category/garden-tips/outdoors/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• same link for the herb garden question lol thanks! I'll check it out
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Lol, yes but this one is for outdoors. I just came across this site and I can't get enough of it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My S/O does all the veggie gardening, I do all the cannning. Not much help for you here, so I'll bump you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I've done just about all my vegetable gardening from pots since they can be moved around to get the maximum amount of sunlight. Some types of seeds need to be started indoors in starter trays because the seedlings need to what is called "harden off" so they are not so susceptible to bugs, temperature changes, etc. I have done this with my tomato plants, green pepper plants, melon plants, etc. Usually the seed packets will tell you which need to be started indoors first for any of the seeds you are looking to grow. After they have outgrown their starter trays they can be planted in the bigger pots. Gardening can be fun and challenging as well. You may want to buy a trowel, some miracle grow to feed the plants, and some starter soil to give your seeds a good start.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Your first year out you may want to stick to containers and prep your larger plot with fertilizer etc for next year. My husban is going to put in raised beds for me this year - helps keep the bunnies and mice damage to a minimum.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 11:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011