I dont mean to sound spoiled or ungrateful, but...

I realize there are those who dont have indoor plumbing or clean water, & my heart goes out to them. I guess we take those things for granted sometimes. I did until today when a water main broke near us & we had very little water pressure all day *My shower was just a trickle. I couldnt do laundry which really puts me behind. Now it's fixed, but rusty. What simple conveniences do you appreciate having?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Hot water!!!! I lived in the bush of West Africa for a short time, and while I did have running water, I did not have HOT water. I now LOVE a good, long, HOT shower. Funny, because before I lived overseas I did not like to shower. Now, nothing compares to it! Also, for about 6 months last year we (family of 6) lived in my parents 600 sq. foot cottage with an 11 gallon water heater. Gave me a great appreciation for the LONG part in a hot shower. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my washer and dryer :)
    I use to have to go to the laundray mat and i hated it. I love being able to do my laundry at home.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Electricity,I was in a winter ice storm a few years ago and without electricity for 17 days in zero degree weather it was horrible!

Stormy7

Answer by Stormy7 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I was in a small village in Ukraine for two weeks. As soon as we got to a hotel in a bigger city, the first thing that I did was take a long, hot shower. We had stayed with a couple and to this day it still amazes me on what they did everyday. They had no indoor plumbing but they did have a shower room, where you could heat some water, put it in a large bucket and it had a drain at the bottom of the bucket that you could stand under to take a shower. Also, they had an outhouse. Of course, while I was there I just had to start my period. In the outhouse, there was a metal can with cut up catalogs. I thought it was a trashcan, nope, it was what they used for toilet paper. Having experienced that made me very appreciative of what I do have.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Since I have lived in little villages far away from anything and as poverty stricken as one can imagine (during my time in the Peace Corps).
    I am extremely grateful for:

Potable water
    Indoor plumbing
    Electricity
    The Ability to go to a store ( a store with cold storage... stocked shelves..etc) and buy anything I want or need.
    My education and the educational opportunities I had (and do have).
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• central heat and air. we've had 3 motor fails in our 2 years renting this home. so far the recent change is holding out lol. the motor burned out and almost caught fire this past summer. we had no ac for the weekend and it really sucked
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Indoor plumbing is a big one on my list two. When we first moved in the plumbers forgot to hook up the water line that ran to our kitchen sink and the bathtub wasn't installed yet so we had no running water downstairs at all. It was horrible!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• water and heat for sure. My mom's house, as a child, the pipes would freeze at least a couple times each winter (leaving us without water for up to a week) and we would undoubtedly run out of heat(propane) at least once. Plus only half the house had central heat so my room was heated with an electric radiator heater.

So I enjoy having heat whenever I want it and always having water lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• we never have air condition in the summer but when its cold I am grateful for a house and everything inside it having already been homeless.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• like Stormy it would have to be my electric.When I was still in middle school we had a ice storm and it was cold and scary.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 7:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011