when your child gets mad...

.y daughter is fourteen months old. When she gets upset about something she claws at her face or pinches herself real hard. Sometimes she even bites her hand really hard. Does anyone else's child do this? I don't know why she wants to hurt herself.

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• to shock you, get her way, coddled, attention, or to see what you'll do. it's pretty standard for a high end tantrum. I am pretty sure you're supposed to ignore it. I've seen kids headbang or headbutt for similar reasons
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree with hibbingmom...she wants to see your reaction....as hard as it is...ignore it and pay attention to something or someone else.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree with above. My son was a headbanger until recently. he would bang it on shopping carts, cement anything. Pedi told me to ignore it and it would eventually go away, and it did.

if it continues for too long or you are worried about it then talk with you pediatrician about it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My daughter has sensory issues, so I don't know if you want my answer lol...but yes, she would hurt herself, she would get angry and bite herself, she would bang her head against the floor, pull her own hair, and claw at her face. It was heartbreaking. Occupational therapy helped!
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree that a lot of time it's for the attention or to see how you will react. Sometimes it's just how they process things. I'm not sure what I did as a kid but I still bang my head when I get stressed out. It's an absolute overwhelming thing. I almost can't stop myself. I also tend to rock to calm myself and I'm a 34yo woman. I think I've actually given myself a concussion before.
    My son used to throw himself face first on the ground as a toddler. His face was always scratched up. We were outside once and he was throwing a fit about something I wouldn't let him have (he was 2) and he walked away and just did a face plant on the sidewalk. My friend freaked out and I just shrugged. He got up a minute later and came over and said he hurt his face. I figured he just learned to never pull his crap on the hard ground, lol (for the record he never did that again).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011