breastfeeding....and I have a little bit of a "biter"....help

My little one is teething. She has 2 bottom teeth already. She is still breastfeeding and hopefully will be until a year...but she has just recently bit me a few times while nursing. Nothing too hard, but it still doesn't feel good obviously. What do I do? I pulled back and gave her a pretty firm "no", but she just turned 6 months old....so I have no idea if that will help.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what you did will help if you are consistant about it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• She is old enough to understand the word no. What worked for one of my friends is to put it "away" when they bite. And leave it in for 15 or 20 minutes at least. Good Luck momma!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 7:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When she bites, immediately squish her toward your breast, so she will let go right away to take a breath. It's the same reaction as when you blow in an infant's face, how they are stunned for a minute and then take a sharp breath of air. They hate that sensation so much, it will stop the biting really fast.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• A baby who bites is not hungry. A firm no and removal from the breast is acceptable. And of course wait until next feeding time to resume nursing. I like JulieJacobKyle's response.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• When I was nursing my daughter, she bit me a time or two and made me bleed. It hurt so bad I was ready to quit and the doctor told me that if she starts closing her teeth to gently put your pinky finger in her mouth right on her gums so she cant go down hard. I also used Lansinoh Cream on the nipple to help heal the skin. You dont have to wach it off before feeding and it sooths the skin like magic.
    heaven531

Answer by heaven531 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• why don't you pump and give her the bottle?
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Sounds like everyone but Amy has sound advice.

I always INSTANTLY broke suction, and firmly told them not to bite. My middle child drew blood, and I literally screamed. It scared him so badly that it was the absolute last time he ever bit me.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Seems that every time she has bitten....she releases immediately....so I don't have to do that. I hope the "no" works and the "putting it away" because I have no intention of NOT breastfeeding.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have an 8month old who has 2 bottom teeth and is getting 2 more teeth. When he bites me i just stop nursing for the moment. usually it means he is not really hungry he just wants to use my breast as a comfort paci.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• "why don't you pump and give her the bottle? "

Amy, do you clean your floor with a toothbrush? Or take your carpets outside and beat them?

Pumping is a LOT of work. I salute those with the fortitude to do it exclusively... but biting is an easy fix.

Siren, three strikes. First bite, remove the baby, tell her no. Repeat on the second bite. END the feeding on the third bite. Make sure she has had NOTHING before nursing... solids always go after, never before. Hunger is a great teacher.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2011