How does the doctor determine how far along you are in pregnancy?

My first visit is coming up and I was just wondering how they do that. What else will they do at my first visit.

mommy2be0611

Asked by mommy2be0611 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They determine dd by the first day of your lmp. they will also get your medical history and get blood.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 8:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• by the date of your last period.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• they can just squeeze your tummy and make an educated guess according to how much your uterus has grown. they will also do all of your bloodwork, etc. and the basic things like weight, bp and urine like they do every visit. you will mostly talk about any questions/concerns and they will probably schedule you for an ultrasound to confirm your due date. gl and congrats.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• well my last "NORMAL" period was in September but I had one for 2 days In October. So should i tell them when my last normal one was or the one in oct. for my last one ??
    mommy2be0611

Comment by mommy2be0611 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Standardly they go by LMP but sometimes they can be wrong, an ultrasound can give a closer estimate but as far as i'm concerned they are all guestimates. Good luck and congrats.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• just tell them that and they will determine which to use i guess. they will see which one agrees the most with the ultrasound.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Usually your last missed period
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• With my doctor they started off with my last period. Then they did the first ultrasound and have been going by that date. The measuring of you uterus will tell them if you are progressing according to that date. On my first appointment they did blood work, urinalysis, pap smear and question and answers as well as medical history. Congrats and good luck.
    angelmine2011

Answer by angelmine2011 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The weeks start with the first day of your last period. So just tell them that you had a "normal" one in Sept and a not normal one in October. I'm sure they will do an ultrasound to determine which they should use for their calculations. And it is just a gesstimate, but they use that to determine if the baby is growing at a healthy rate.
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 9:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• They will probaby go by your sept date and then have you go in for an ultrasound. but an estimated due date can be off by as much as 2 weeks in either direction so If things dont add up quite right dont get too worried.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2011