Puppy before or after baby is born?

I'm getting a puppy. A teacup yorkie. this much is decided. my question is, do I get and train it while I'm pregnant and with my family in New York? Or do I wait until Baby is born and I'm back in Texas? Would it be better for puppy if i get it while i have my newborn? avoid jealousy issues? I need some serious opinions and advice

m.riley

Asked by m.riley at 8:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pets

• Wait until your baby is a year old. You'll be so very thankful if you do. Puppies are a lot of work and so are babies. Cut yourself some slack and just wait, no matter how excited you are to be getting a puppy.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• WAY after. You will have a new born to concentrate on having a puppy is almost like having another baby in the home.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• First off, I am an owner of a Yorkie male dog, beautiful dog, but they train you, not the other way around, they are arrogant and very hard to train. I would get it before the baby is born and try to train him, but they do bark, that piercing bark that will wake up baby and you will want to kill it for doing so... I do not think it will be a good idea to have a newborn and have to be training a puppy too.

Answer by older at 8:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Wait a bit after you have your baby and things have settled down, that way you wont be as flustered and will know when you can handle both baby and puppy instead of having a puppy and stressing out when you bring the baby home. It will also help with jealousy issues and training. Also it looks like you have a move in the future and juggling a new baby, puppy and moving is extremely stressful.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 8:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think it would be better to have the puppy trained before the baby arrives. I could not imagine having to train a puppy and having a new born. As the jealously issue, I don't really know.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I cant wait too long because my husband will be deployed another 3 and a half months after I return to Texas. I can't be in this house alone with newborns...
    m.riley

Comment by m.riley (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• The newborns will keep way to busy for you to be able to keep an eye and train a puppy.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Def wait. As pp said they will train you. My mom had a yorky as a kid and they are almost impossible to train. they can be very stubborn. and if this is your first baby then you will thank everyone that tells you to wait. Especially if dh is getting deployed. Dogs need to go out at least 4-5 times a day. With a newborn thats gonna be really hard. Just wait and if you need a pet get a cat or a fish and hold off on the dog. Seriously you will not regret it. Congrats on the baby!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would never get a new dog before a baby. And my husband is military, and I have spent most of the last 2 years without him....and we have a 1 and a 2 year old. Trust me, you can be alone. Not to be rude, but what is a teacup yorkie going to do? I would wait until the baby is a year old or older.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I got a puppy while I was prego with the first. I did fine, but my puppy was very good and I didn't work. There are a ton of puppies out there that are being given away because a baby is born or on the way. A puppy has immediate needs just lke a baby needs things RIGHT NOW. It is certainly something to think about before getting a dog.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011