Has anyone brought their one year old on a cruise?

Hi!

My husband and I are going on a Caribbean cruise right around when our son is turning a year old. My parents have offered to watch him for the week we will be gone. I would like to bring him but I worry that it's going to be too complicated with the flight across the country, all the ports we will have to get off and on and bringing him to all the meals. Has anyone taken their baby on a cruise and did you find it to be hard?

BravoBride

Asked by BravoBride at 8:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Travel

• I would leave him with grandparents. Don't feel guilty. He will be more comfortable ther, and you would end up being exhausted from everything that could go wrong with the plane trip and then on board ship. What if the plane got stuck somewhere and you were in a airport with him for many hours? This happens with cruise ships too. I had friends who were at the safety stations and there was a problem, and it was hours befor they could get to their stateroom. Little irritations for adults, big problem if you have a baby with you. This is a nice thing that the grandparents are doing, go enjoy your time alone together, you need that. It will make you more relaxed when you come back.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• i took one of my boys when he was 3 mos old on a flight. and another time, me and my mom flew cross country with all 3 of them, at the time, they were 4, 5, and 6. we have also been on a cruise with all 3 of them. they were 3, 4, and 5. we got with the cruise line and lined up babysitters, so we could enjoy time to ourselves and activities in which it would have been impossible to do with kids. i am totally uncomfortable with my kids being away from me, so i would have been a total wreck had we left them!! but it depends on how comfortable you are leaving them. grandmas are pretty good with the kids! LOL!! get with your cruise liner and see what they offer! as for flying, it CAN be done, just be prepared for everything. and DON'T worry about what others may think, (we got horrible looks getting on the plane! OMG!! 3 kids on a 5 hr fight!) but the kids were great, we walked the isles and had fun. good luck!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 9:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Thanks itzmyzoo! I feel really comfortable leaving him with my parents. I am just worried that the day care on the boat might not be good since he's still so little. But you're right, I should check with the cruise liner. Thanks again
    BravoBride

Comment by BravoBride (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• In my opinion, I believe your baby is going to be fine with grandma. It is not like you are going to leave him forever. Think as an opportunity for you and hubby to reconnect again. I'm not saying you guys are not in the same page, but having a baby takes a lot of time away from each other. Just prepare yourself to be away from him for a week and enjoy your hubby and the cruise. Have fun!!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks bratgirln1! That is good advice, you're right we won't be leaving him forever! :)
    BravoBride

Comment by BravoBride (original poster) at 1:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't take him. DH and I have been on several cruises, and we decided that we won't take the kids until the baby is at least 6 or 7. Enjoy your vacation, I bet your parents are excited to have their grandson for a week!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:47 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• The nurseries on the ships are equipped to take little ones, but their hours are greatly shorter than the kid camps for older kids and the amount of time you may leave them per day is also greatly less. So you may find that you won't be able to do the adult night life stuff because there won't be babysitters for the later hours. But definitely check with the cruise line first. However, for as young as he is, I would leave him with grandma this trip. It would be so disruptive to his schedule and the new surroundings and all and Grandma will enjoy her time alone with him.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Thanks so much ladies! You have made me feel so much better about taking the trip with just my husband. My parents love watching him and I completely trust them with him but I was just feeling guilty about not bringing him on vacation. Thanks again!
    BravoBride

Comment by BravoBride (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2011