Is it stupid for me to apply for jobs while on medical leave?

I have been driving 75 miles to work one way. I like my job but hate the drive. I am on medical leave at this time because I had major abdominal surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. It will be 3-5 weeks before I can work again. Because of the drive and long unusual hours I work, I don't have any family time. My husband and I both agree it would be best to quit. I want to apply for a couple of jobs in our area that are open right now. My husband thinks it is a stupid waste of time as I can't go to work for another month. It is hard to find jobs in my field in our area. I think I need to apply while there is an opening. Of course I have already quit and gone back to my current job once. I was gone a month to work closer, hated it and went back to my present job. My husband doesn't want me to work but with my medical bills and Christmas I think I need to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• No.When it says date available put the date you'll be able to work again
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It's not stupid. When filling out applications just put the date that you are available to start.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you are getting paid disability and you have insurance through your job, I would wait. If you do not go back to your job and they are paying you, you might wind up owing them money.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree...apply and put the date you'll be able to start, maybe if possible, put a little note as to why if you don't think it'll hurt your chances of getting hired (of course, they can't NOT hire you because of it). I assume that you'll at least be able to leave the house and drive yourself to an interview if called...if not, then I would say wait 'til you're a little closer to being able to go back.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 9:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Most people don't start til 2 weeks after they're hired anyway, and it wouldn't be immediately from now. A month sounds reasonable. Odds are you aren't going to go down tomorrow and get hired that day. Good luck.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Lay, I have no benefits or disability pay from my current job.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think it's worth it to start looking for another job now. You want out so get out. Now's a great opportunity for you to look for alternative employment. You will have to tell potential employers that you can't start for another month-but it's been my experience that it usually takes a month to get hired and start working at another job anyway.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Wow... Seems like you'd be in quite a bit of pain after having major surgery like that. I hope you're feeling better now. Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home and I love it! I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 ½ year old son, and 22 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    Get to know our Team on Facebook: www.LikeInternetCEOMoms.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:52 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'd wait because if they do find out you have been applying and they will they might fire you anyway. I'd be recovering right now if I were you.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Not at all!

There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837  

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2011