Attacking Drapes With Scissors...

So, my sons were being awfully quiet, and busted them doing their best scissor artwork on my drapes. They will be 4 and 3 years in February and March.

The hard thing was figuring out a suitable punishment for not only playing with the scissors, but also cutting up my drapes. I decided that their new and beloved Optimus Prime and Bumblebee Transformers are mine for a while. They hang on the curtain rod as a reminder.
In one way it feels so mean of me, but in another I know it sunk in that shredding the drapes isn't cool in Mom's book.

My question is if it were you (or has been you) what would you have done in the same situation?

SpaceToast

Asked by SpaceToast at 9:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LOL def not saying that you didnt hide them well. I know what thats like! Its funny how much can happen in just a bathroom session! DD hasnt really done anything like this but Id laugh my ass off and have some good memories with it if she did. You should of snuck up on them with a video camera hahahahha
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• LMAO!! Not laughing about what happened but youre too funny! I love the idea of hanging them from the rods! As a punishment Id just talk it out and take the toys away. They are still too young to go any further. Id also consider myself being punished for leaving the scissors where they can reach them. Im sorry but this is too funny!!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I personally think that after the kids went for the drapes Anon sat on the scissors JMO lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i think taking away the toys was a good punishment. I don't know about hanging them on the drapes lol a little mean but they will deffinately get that its not ok.

My son has shapied the couch and the walls(my husband fell asleep and I was at school) but he was only two, he also made it snow in his room with baby powder, again he was two.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think you handled it wonderfully!!!!!
    I have a clear "TIME OUT" box on top of the fridge for any toys that are not cleaned up or any other problems that involve toys. I have found that being able to see them sitting up there helps remind the offender to not do it again. LOL!!!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 9:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My son did that at 4 also. He said he didn't like the drapes anymore. I don't remember how I punished him, but I let him help pick out new ones so it wouldn't happen again.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• reminds me of last month where my son "helped" daddy do the dishes. He squirted Dawn into the dishwasher when my hubby turned around, who then shut the door and started it without looking. 10 mins later, we had suds everywhere, but it saved me from moping the floor. lol

kids lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Don't worry, Steph, I was laughing too. I just had to do it where the couldn't see me and think it's something cute to do.

And for the record, ladies... They moved chairs and climbed for them. I mean, come on. I have to go to the bathroom sometimes, you know.
    SpaceToast

Comment by SpaceToast (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Remember they are three and four. Time out/ take the toy away for a couple of days... after that it has no effect because of their short term minds...One suggestion, as they get older. Plz , when you disapline them, don't put them on restriction. Because you will also be on it! There are better ways to get even. LOL look on line for great ideas from Professionals.... You did good mom! Have fun@
    WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 2:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't punish as much as I'd teach them what they did wrong. Why is everyone so bent on punishing little kids? TEACH THEM then put the stupid scissors up where they can't get them.
    Anonymous