How hard is it to house train a dog?

I'm thinking about getting one but I don't want a huge hassle. I found one I want but she was a stray and the person doesn't know if she's house broken or not but said she "seems like an inside dog." Any tips on how to train her if she's not?

Also, roughly how much are shots?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pets

• If you don't want a hassle, you don't want a dog. They take time, effort, and consistency.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Housebreaking a puppy is as hard as potty training a kid.A grown dog is a bit more difficult. Shots are about 10 dollars and up
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree with above, while I don't think training is hugeley difficult it is time consuming. Dogs need a lot of attention and care, and the vet bills can be expensive depending on the vet. you have to pay for the office visit plus shots, plus registration(depending on state laws). Plus food(which depending on dog can get quite expensive)

It is a huge commitment, much like having a child.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you want a "no hassle pet" a cat is an easier choice :)

Good luck!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i agree with AAAmom
    mamabeard3

Answer by mamabeard3 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• House training isn't too hard, but it is time consuming (as the other poster stated) and takes consistancy. I suggest crate training. Put the puppy/dog on a feeding schedule. Take it outside often (about 20 minutes after eating, first thing in the morning, after naps and play sessions, and last thing before bed) and praise like crazy when they potty outside. Anytime you aren't able to watch the puppy/dog like a hawk, it should be in the crate. This is NOT abusive or neglectful. Dogs were originally den animals and the crate is like their den. If the crate is the correct size (just big enough for the dog to stand, turn around, and lay down), they will not "mess" their den. I also liken crate training to putting a baby in their crib or playpen. If you weren't able to watch the baby for a few minutes, like to go potty, you wouldn't just leave them alone wandering the house.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 10:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• most states have clinics you can get shots at a cheaper cost.
    house training just takes time and consistancey!!! you have to do the same thing over and over for the dog to learn. if you keep changing their routine they will never learn.!
    gl
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 11:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Big commitment and housetraining is easier if you can kennel the dog at night (not let it wander the house and chew whatever ~).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If you are that concerned about the price of vaccinations, you probably won't be thrilled about the cost of proper health care for your future pet. You need to really consider pets as a financial investment, if you really want to be prepared.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011