Scared to have 2nd child.

I really want to try for another baby at the end of this year, but I am scared.

1. What if my current baby, who would be around 2 when the new one is born (God willing) gets jealous?
2. How do I give enough attention to both children?
3. How will I ever love another like I love my son?

Moms of more than one... please reassure me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• The jealousy will probably be there, but it will be gotten over. Just try to involve your son in taking care of the new baby when he can.
    Attention giving? You'll find a way. I can't tell you how, but it works out.
    Love? Momma, you don't realize how much love your heart can hold, but you'll find out.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 9:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Your fears will sort themselves. I absolutely promise you. I had this fear too but seriously it's not even an issue once you have him, it's just us mothers worrying like we do best!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Good grief girl, love is not a matter of division..but rather one of multiplication. I have, love them all to pieces...you will too. Don't wast time with worry over little stuff like this...life is too short.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• First of all he may or may not get jealous but he is a kid and it won't be the last time he is jealous and he will get over it_ second- You will love that child in the exact same way maybe even more knowing now the joy ahead! I promise you will be able to give them both attention. Momma arms are infinite they can give as much as needed! Just never be afraid to take help when needed! _ As a single mom of three i promise everything just falls into place you will see!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Your heart just makes room for one more! Mine are 2 yrs apart and even at the ages of 18 and 16 they are still super close. I have a girl and a boy
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• you love them all the same and you will be fine
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 9:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• She will get jealous but you will both survive...You won't be a perfect mom, but they won't be perfect either.....you will love all your kids intensely....some days you'll like one more than the other and vice versa....it's all good...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• First child will get jealous so then you have to have special time set aside for him. You will love them both, sometimes differently. I will say this, mine are 18 months apart. There was a time when I felt I was missing out on my first kid while carrying (terrible morning sickness, I couldn't enjoy my first born) the second. But it passes and now they are SUCH good buddies, I feel so lucky.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:15 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You should be scared, haha. The pregnancy will be a lot harder on you because you will be exhausted and chasing after a toddler. Then when baby is born, your 2 year old will still not be old enough to really do anything himself/herself. It's really stressful and emotional trying. I felt so much guilt over not giving my 2 year old enough attention because there was no time between pure sleep deprivation and constant care of a baby. It's hard, I'm not sure how I made it through.....but I told myself that I would NEVER have that close of an age gap again.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 1:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You will adjust just fine, my kids are 18 months apart and I managed to do it all. Yes I felt guilty sometimes because the baby needed more attention and I felt like my son was getting shorted, but the baby won't be young forever and soon you will be able to split time more evenly between them, and mine are great buddies too now they are 41/2 and 3 And setting special time aside once a day for your oldest is a good idea too, see if you can get DH or a family member to watch the baby while you do it so that you don't have to worry about that too and can focus on your older one.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011