How to get vomit smell out of carpet?

My 6 yo wasn't feeling well today and I asked her if she needed to throw up and she said yes. I stood up to take her to the bathroom and she threw up all over me and the carpet. Well now my house just smells awful. I cleaned it with 409 (thats all I had). I let it dry and spread baking soda all over it and left it for a half hour. I then poured arm and hammer smelly carpet stuff on it and left it for 15 min. I vacuumed it all up and it still smells! I also left my windows open all day even though it is only 40 degrees. Any ideas short of renting a carpet cleaner? (we have no money until Friday).

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 9:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Its actually borax, vinegar and salt but baking soda should work the same. or oxy clean if you have it!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Make a paste on the stain out of baking soda, vinegar and salt. Spread it and vaccuum in the morning. Its great for stains and smells GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Stain or not put it on the "area"
    Steph319

• Thanks! I can't wait to try it. The smell is awful.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I know! Ive been there! It will go away soon good luck!! Let me know how it works!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Buy or rent a carpet cleaner.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you have any issues with what I said then just get some hot water and a little soap and scrub the area. I did it once when I got sick on my floor and it too worked
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• i use carpet cleaner in a spray bottle from the dollar general store.. works every time for me.. and my LO throws up a LOT!!! i jsut spray and soak up with a towel over night then spray and clean with hot water...
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 9:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If you have onions or potatoes - cut them in 1/2, place cut side down on affected area, leave for an hour or so, then sprinkle baking soda and leave vacuum tomorrow.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011