Pearl Necklace Appraisal?

I have a small string of pearls that my grandmother gave to me for my high school graduation (1999). She neglected to remove the price tag and they've never been worn. We're really hard on money right now (like many are) and we have no idea where our rent is coming from; it's due on the 9th. I've thought about getting those pearls appraised and then selling them so that we can try to make rent.

I've also thought about getting the rest of my small collection of jewelry appraised so that we can pay our rent, but I keep wondering what's going to happen NEXT month. Even after we take out any superfluous spending we have (which is close to nothing already), our monthly bills exceed what my spouse is bringing in. I'm going back to school and using my GI Bill (which also includes BAH; what we'll be able to use for rent), but what are we supposed to do until then?

My QUESTION: What do jewelers look for when appraising pearl necklaces? Like I said, I've never worn them, they're over ten years old, and the price tag is STILL on there. I have lost track of the original box over the last ten plus years, so any authenticity paperwork has been lost.

Thanks!

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• You will be disappointed with an appraisal, I had a huge pearl ring appraised that I inherited from my mother, this ring is one of a kind and has a published article about the size and how unique it is. This ring is from the 70's. The appraisal came back less than $1000.00. My dad paid that much for it. Good luck to you.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I have no idea, but I would guess, color, luster, roundness. I hope something improves for you. THat is a really hard situation.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Thanks. I figured it wouldn't be worth much. Noosa, I think it's stupid that your ring was appraised for so little considering the unique qualities.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 5:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Even with high appraisals you will never get that amount when you go to sell it--maybe 30% to 60% of the appraised value--obviously depending on a number of factors! Appraisals are for insurance purposes only, not resale purposes--that is because whomever buys your jewelry will want to sell it for a profit!

The key factor is valuation of precious and semi-precious gems is what the market will bear. Are pearls "in" now? If so, then if a high quality--color (range of bright white to ivory, pink, gray, yellow, and black) millimeter size of the pearls (6mm, 5mm, etc.), if they are peeling, have scratches or nicks, or are otherwise in great condition will also affect the value. If they're not "in," then they will sell for even less.

When it comes to gold, silver, platinum, you will only get cash based on what the metals WEIGH! Right now, gold is in demand and you can get up to $45 per gram weight.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• You will get the best price from a local, independent jeweler

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2011