s/o of equality of men and women question

In your opinion, did Jesus promote equality of women--or at least generally treat them as worthy individuals and not a different class from men in his teachings and in how he interacted with them?

"Jesus gave no explicit teaching on the role of women in the church. In fact, he left no teaching at all concerning women as a class of people…. He treated every woman he met as a person in her own right.”--Grenz, Stanley. Women in the Church: A Biblical Theology of Women in Ministry

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Matthew 12:48-50
He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

If so, why are there also verses with instructions like these--if they really wanted to follow Jesus' teachings and his example of how we treat others?

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

1 Timothy 2:11-12
A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Religious Debate

• because Paul wasnt Jesus. Jesus focused on the big picture, while Paul focused on the small picture. Jesus was concerned with the main message while Paul was concerned with the religion around the main message. Jesus was spiritual and Paul was religious.

but then i dont care for Paul's writings...so maybe im biased.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Interestingly enough both Corinthians and Timothy were written by Paul.........
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I believe Christ viewed us as equals, but, when the early Christians were starting their churches, they were already considered fairly radical for their times. So, I believe that there were several things like this that were said to the early churches / early Christians because they still had to live in that society - and that their beliefs were affected to some extent from the mindset / social mores of their day.

Like, they also talk about washing peoples feet to make them feel welcome and to honor them, yet today there are other ways that we show people respect and honor them and welcome them, kwim?

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Paul did not forbid women from ever teaching men. Paul's co-worker, Priscilla taught Apollos. (Acts 18:24-26). Paul often mentioned other women who held positions of responsibility in the church. Among them are Phebe, Mary, Tryphena, Tryphosa, Euodias and Syntyche. To understand these verses, you must understand the situation in which Paul and Timothy worked. At that time, women were not allowed to study. Paul was speaking to the Ephesian women here because they didn't yet have enough knowledge or experience. These women were new converts and uneducated and lacked the maturity to teach those who already had extensive biblical education.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Throughout the letter of 1 Corinthians, there's some implication that Paul is reiterating what was written to him in complaint. If you look at v. 36, there's a rebuttal of sorts when he writes: "What! Was it from you that the Word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?" One could just as easily read the combined collection of verses through v 36 and beyond as Paul refuting the concept that woman are to be silent. ;)

witchqueen - Jesus also appeared to women on Easter morning and instructed those women to go and bear witness to the male disciples. There is much to be said about who he elected to appear first to and who was given the task of 'witnessing' to whom. There is not a total list of who attended the last supper - we only know how the men of the time opted to write about and we only know the books of the NT that the early church opted to canonize.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• One would see how He treated them to know how He sees them.
    He treated them with love and respect... examples are Mary and Martha story and Mary the former adulteress story. I believe He sees them as equal in being able to be ministers of the Gospel. I do not mean ministers as in ministers of the church but the bible says we as Christians are all called to be ministers of the gospel. I just wanted to clarify that
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• One must distinguish what was intended by the person vs. written down by another. I give very little credibility to a document written by a bunch of men who were interested in keeping their women submissive. Talk about a biased history!

I believe that spirituality resides with the individual, and only the individual can determine whether they are following the path meant for them. I do not believe that following the lessons in a bible, or any other religious document, is acting within the intent or interest of God. I do not believe that God favors one gender over the other, and I do not believe that God is proud or glad about the treatment of women in most of the world.

Instead, we were each given strengths and weaknesses, and the point was to learn to use them together for the betterment of both. Sadly most have missed that point.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm still muddling through this one. Jesus treated women very well. Other parts of the Bible, well, not so much. I can't wrap my brain around it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:58 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Why does this issue bother women so much? I have never found any mistreatment of women to be acceptable in the bible. The apostles wrote about how man is to treat his wife. It is with honor and dignity and value! And women are called to make themselves worthy of this treatment! Women did not teach in the temple under the old law and they are not to do so in worship under the new law. Men are called to be the elders and deacons of the Lord's church, not women. This is not mistreament or demeaning in any way! Women have so many other things to do and we all play a role in the church. But just because we are not preaching or reading scripture aloud etc. it doesn't demean us or lessen our participation in worship and the church. Just as we still have pain in child bearing as direct result of Eve's sin so it is that women remain under the authority of men.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• "Men are called to be the elders and deacons of the Lord's church, not women. This is not mistreament or demeaning in any way! Women have so many other things to do and we all play a role in the church. "

maybe its b/c ive spent so much of my life at smaller churches, but what happens when there are no men willing or capable of being elders or deacons? what if the best person for the job IS a woman? she usually doesnt even get the recognition that she is the most skilled person for the job...all b/c of her gender. the churches ive been to will either make her husband the deacon but expect she will do the work or they create a new non-leadership title for her...sounds pretty demeaning and discriminatory to me!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011