Nanny pay for second child

We live in Chicago and have had a wonderful nanny now for two years. She has watched our son since he was 3 months old. We're having another boy in May and I'm trying to find out what the right increase is for her.

Right now, we pay her $12.50/hour, AFTER TAXES. So her take home each week is $550, for four days/week, working 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Some friends have said $2/hour others $1/hour. Any suggestions.

I'm inclined to go a little lower, especially since our toddler will go to pre-school for three hours every day, five days a week.

LucaMom2

Asked by LucaMom2 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• What about $2 an hour extra for when she has both children and $1 an hour extra for when she only has the one.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Keep the pay where it is. Just because the child will be in school does not mean that the one at home would be any less work. I think lowering it would be an insult and she may leave. Besides,she will still have two kids for eight hours a day. Lowering her pay would be a big insult! Think about it! Remember her bills or rent r not going to get any lower,why should her pay!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Dancer, who said anything about lowering the pay? She is wanting to know how much she should increase the nanny's pay, not lower it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Jeremysmom in the last line. Is your child happy and safe? Does she do an excellent job? Can you leave your home and not worry about your child? Why would you go lower. I was a nanny and let me tell you did I work. It is very hard to find a nanny today. I think if I were you, I would think about what you are doing. If you can afford a nanny you can afford to pay this nanny what she deserves.
    Anonymous

• "I'm inclined to go a little lower".

She is talking about going lower in raising the pay. Instead of the $1-$2 pay raise that people have suggested she was thinking about a little less of a pay raise, not that she wants to lower the pay she already gives her.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• OP, another thing to consider is how long she has worked for you and if you have raised her pay at all since then.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think I need to clarify. We would increase her pay with a second child, for sure. What I'm asking is: Do we increase it by an extra $1/hour, $1.50/hour or $2/hour with the second child? For example, we pay her $12.50/hour now for one child. With the second, do we increase her pay to $13.50/hour? $14/hour? or $14.50/hour?

She's wonderful. We did give her a raise when I went 4 days a week. Essentially we kept her weekly pay the same and she worked one less day a week. So that was a nice raise. She also gets 2 weeks paid vacation (really more since I take about 3+ weeks vacation/year).

Of the extra $1/hour vs $2/hour, I thought since our toddler will be in preschool five days a week for three hours, maybe we just increase her pay by $1 or $1.50/hour, rather than $2/hour.

LucaMom2

Comment by LucaMom2 (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would say increase it by $1 an hour then since she has previously received a raise. If once the second child arrives and you see her having to do extra things that might qualify for even more of a raise, then you might want to consider that, but in the mean time, I would do $1 an hour.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think I would increase it $1 an hour as well.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would do $1 she deserves it she will have a newborn and toddler thats hard for any mother let a lone a nanny...Good Luck and God Bless you and your family...Whatever you decide is the best decision for your family..
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 2:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2011