A Lot of eye crud

My daughter is 5 months old. Yesterday she woke up with some eye crud and I wiped it away. Later in the day she had more - I wiped it away. Later on that night she seemed to have a ton. This morning she has alot too. Its just one eye and its a combination of hard green/yellow stuff and a small amount of wet soft stuff. Anyone know what it is ? Seems like too much to be just sleep crud.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask your doctor. It could be pink eye or it could be a clogged tear duct clearing itself out. Use a warm washcloth to wipe it away if it gets crusty and to massage the tear duct.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 9:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter had eye crud up until about 9-10 months... the doctor's said it was just a clogged tear duct and should clear up in time. Nothing immmediate I should do, but keep gently wiping her eyes. They were right, it did eventually go away. Now, if she has a severe cold, the crud comes back, but only for the time of the cold.
    mrsscip

Answer by mrsscip at 9:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• She has had a sruffy/runny nose lately too. For the last 4 days or so and she has been coughing - although it sounds like her fake coughs. I thought she was just getting a little cold. Could the eye be part of it somehow, or is it totally unrelated?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I bet you its pink eye. Its easy to fix though...just some eye drops. I loved getting it when I was in school because it didn't hurt or anything and I got to stay home from school! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We got a dr apoointment for later on. Thanks for the advice ladies. Ive been touching her and kissing her and all the stuff I normally do, will I probably catch it as well?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It is a clogged eye duct. My son had this ...the doctor will give her a prescription. It will clear -up very quick. This is very common in babies. Take care.
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 10:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sounds like conjuctivitis, pretty much the same thing as pink eye, the difference is pink eye does not have as much eye crud. The Dr. will give you a antibiotic, and eye drops! Try and keep her away from other kiddos in the Dr. office, and use a warm, wet wash rag on her eyes! Just remember don't rub her eyes with the cloth just dab and if it is still there have her close her eyes and use a syringe with warm water, that will keep from scraching her eyes, and causing a bigger problem!
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• good chance it's pink eye. wash your hands well after cleaning it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• could just be a blocked tear duct. Massage the inner corners of her eye gently. If that doesn't help, then I would call the doc.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Ok - we have an appointment for the dr at 5 just to make sure we figure out what it is .. but before that I have to go babysit for a 17 month old boy. Should I call and not go in? Could I spread it to him if it is pink eye or conjuctivitis?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2008