my friend's 15 month old won't let her brush her teeth!

The 15 month old will hold a toothbrush in her mouth and kind of suck on it and rub it around her mouth with the baby toothpaste on it but whenever her mom try to actually brush her teeth thoroughly she screams and thrashes around and won't let her. Is it good enough that she will put the brush in her mouth with the toothpaste and play around with it in her mouth? Or should she be trying to make her let her brush them the right way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've noticed that my son is really asserting his independence now, and he's 15 months old. He won't eat unless he can hold the spoon, and even me helping to put food in the spoon is a big no-no sometimes. I can't even try to give him baby food-- it's what we're eating or nothing.

I like the suggestion above-- take turns. Let her hold the toothbrush, and let her try and brush her own teeth. I suggest that mommy show her with her own toothbrush. My son likes to imitate what I do, and "help." Perhaps this will work for her.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• She should let her daughter "try" to brush her own teeth. Take turns. First she does it then mommy does it. That's how I got my daughter to do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• they can take turns, but in the end the teeth need to get brushed....like PP said, take turns and make a game out of it.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My son is 21months and I just had to stop him from doing the same thing. He would move the tooth brush around and suck the toothpaste off, but not brush. I tried the watch mami brush thing, and the I do it you do it game but none of them worked. So I had to go back to the finger brush and brush his teeth for him. Elmo is on his toothpaste so I say "look Elmo is brushing his teeth say ahh" and then I brush his tongue. After that we say "cheese" and that's when I brush his teeth. He HAS to hold his Elmo toothpaste tho and I have to reassure him that Elmo wants him to brush his teeth. So maybe bringing a favorite character and using the finger brush will help some@
    Nicolenew

Answer by Nicolenew at 1:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Sounds like my son, same age. Nothing is working. We're lucky if he gets the equivalent of one brushing a day. :(
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 11:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011