How much is a good pay for this ?

We just moved to this city in Ohio ( from a small country town where things were cheap) .... This city isnt actually a huge place, there are alot of places ( stores, restraunts, buisnesses, etc) ...but it isnt even on a regular map ( like bigger cities usually are) .....

So, we decided that we want our kids to be homeschool... I know that I am not really capable of doing that and we are able to hire a "home teacher" .... Right now ( well in Sept. ) it will just be my daughter, she will be 5 then but at a 1st grade level ... We have a classroom set up, and i plan on doing field trips ( I can take her myself or the teacher can come along too ) .... so it is basically just "classroom duties"

So I was wondering what would be a fair pay for just my one child ( i will pay more when my son is older and starts) .... I was thinking like $2200/ month ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• At that age/grade level, they don't need more than a few hours of teaching a day - at most. Just remember that when determining your rate.

There are free online curriculums, plenty of guides and books to help you along, pre-boxed curriculums you can buy, etc. where you could easily do it on your own with her. I think you should give it a try yourself first. :)

And yes, I HS.
    Anonymous

• PS Go ask this in the Happy Homeschoolers group. I think they could give you lots of advice. :)
    Anonymous

• I too think you can do it yourself. I homeschool my 3 children but yes that is fair price!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Will you be hiring a certified teacher? If so, here is something to think about. In Ohio, the starting pay for a brand new, just graduated teacher is $33,671. So, if you hired a teacher for 9 months out of the year, and paid her $2,200/month, then she would only be making a little less than $20,000 a year. Will you be offering her health insurance, paid vacations, sick days, etc? Will the hours be full time like 8 am- 3 pm or will you only have her for certain days or for 3-4 hours each day? I am sure that you may be able to find someone to do this, but I honestly don't think they would stick around long, unless they were only looking for something like this where they get to work one on one with a child or two and have the flexibility of working for you rather than at a school system.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• To me thats a little steep but if you are okay with paying that amount, I would say yes its fair
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Do it yourself and save money and bond with your child!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 11:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Any board of ed will tell u that there is no need to chain a child to a desk for 7 or 8 hours a day. 4 hours is plenty!!! Go to the board of ed web site and check it out.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Dancer, show me ONE Board of Education that says that. You won't find one for public school that says that. Not that it isn't true, but no public school board of education will admit that.

Anonymous

• well we are just now looking into this ... and I have read what I could find but for where we are I couldnt find anything other than outdated info.... ( I wasnt for sure if I was able to pick the hours)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• and also I am just very nervous about doing it myself... I think I would feel like I would be jipping htem out of things they should learn....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011