boys toys and girls toys?

I personally do not see anything wrong with a 3 and 4 year old boy playing with a baby doll and a little girl playing with hot wheels cars!! I recently posted on my facebook that my boys were playing with my daughters dolls today more than their toys and their step mother didn't like that. what is your opinion, do you take into account the gender of your child when it comes to toys you let them play with?

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 11:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• not really, they just play with whatever. I have twin 2 year old boys and a 3 1/2 year DD and they'll all have a purse or be all playing with cars....
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 11:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My kids can play with what ever they want. Now if my son was 12 and playing dress up in girl clothes I would be concerned then but they are both 3 and 1 so I let them play with what ever they choose.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• My dd loves matchbox cars, Im not worried.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I think it's important for children of both sexes to be given the opportunity to choose what toys they want to play with, whether it's boys playing with dolls or girls playing with trucks. There are lessons to be learned with all types of play. However, expecting boys and girls to play with the toys the same way-- that's a whole different story. My son and neice play with their toys together. My neice cuddles her doll and takes her for walks in the stroller. When it's my son's turn to play with the doll, he flings the doll out of the stroller, turns it upside down, then spins the wheels. My son loves that stroller as much as my neice-- just in a different way.

Now.. would I be horrified if he played with the doll as my neice did? Absolutely not-- actually i was quite embarassed when he flung that poor doll. There really isn't anything wrong with how kids play-- only how and what adults think of it.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Nothing wrong at all. And there step mom didn't like it? Interesting. First, how very wonderful you have her as a friend on FB. Truthfully, if I had an ex and he was remarried - I'm not sure how much I would want her on my wall or reading my stuff. That is very mature of you. Not so mature of her to comment on your wall that she disagrees with basically amounts to a parenting issue. I know me. This would rub me the wrong way. I would not start WWIII but at the same time I would find a graceful way of starting a conversation about gender identity from point of view...and that my hope is my children will have similar ways of thinking about gender that I do. While I respect her opinion - it would bother me the messages that my children have in her home. I guess on one hand I could be thankful I am aware of how she thinks. This way I can have honest discussions with my children about my views and how their SM may

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• have a different view. I can't control her home or my husband but I can provide an environment I want my children to have. So I guess it is good to have her on FB sharing ideas and POV's so that you can both discuss your views civilly and you can also be aware of any big issues as time goes on.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It is all normal for boys and girls to play with each others toys. It will not turn them gay!!! I think that is why people disapprove.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• haha yea we have 2 baby doll strollers and they were racing them
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Nothing wrong with that. My son will be able to play with whatever he wants to and there is NOTHING wrong with it. Anyone who thinks that boys who play with dolls are sissies and girls who play with baseballs and bats are bound to be lesbians can kiss my ass. You are NOT better then anyone and your kids are NOT better then anyone else's. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Hey guys remember that story about that little boy who went trick or treating as Daphne from Scooby Doo on Halloween? Yeah. If my son wanted to do that then I would be right next to him trick or treating as Fred. And my cousins and sister have determined that they would dress up with us too. My MALE cousin (13 yrs, btw) would be Velma, my FEMALE cousin (10 yrs.) was gonna be Shaggy, and the have this itty bitty little FEMALE dog that we were gonna put a Scooby collar on and take her with us. Don't like it? Don't look.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I hope the sm isn't going to have a lot of influence on their upbringing. You may want to limit what knowledge you share with her. Maybe start a different FB sight for your friends? I had to do that. Now they don't have any idea what goes on except what I want them to know! LOL As far ask the kids? They sound like healthy boys. Nothing to worry about. You are doing a wonderful job! There is always going to be someone telling you what you should or shouldn't do. Acknowledge their feelings and thank them. Don't respond or explain because they've already made up their minds! I know....LOL Hope this helps! Happy New Years!

graduate

WalknWithGod

Answer by WalknWithGod at 12:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011