Not enough floor time?

We are having trouble getting the house baby-proofed fast enough. My DS is almost 5 months old and my mom says we're making him delayed by not putting him on the floor. (He's not crawling or sitting up yet. He has rolled over but not often) We do put him down, on a blanket, on our bed, on our chests, in his gym... he gets plenty of tummy time. But we'd rather hold him! Are we hurting him by not putting him on the floor? We are working on the house, and we'll have it ready by the time he's crawling (unless he jumps the gun and starts quickly, but really he doesn't act like he's even close).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off No you are not hurting your child, Yes floor time is an important aspect to any baby, but babies develop differently! My middle child never went in the floor, he would scream and cry the whole time, and he was right on que with his development, my daughter, the youngest who is about to be 9 months, does not go in the floor much, due to her heart problem, and yes she is delayed, she can not sit up, and she only wieghs 11 lbs, so at 5 months all you really need to do is play, alot of babies don't sit up at 5 months!
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I think your baby will be fine without "floor time" it sounds like he is getting plenty of tummy time other places, if you think the baby is developing fine and so does his dr. then do not listen to other peoples opinions, you are his mother and father sounds to me that you are doing a fine job.
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 10:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• You baby will be fine.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2008