Pluck, Wax or Shave?

I have excessive facial hairs on my chin and I'm curious as to what other women do about this.
If I get a waxing done I have to go three times a week just to get most of them. And my face is red for hours after-wards.
If I pluck I can remove up to 50 hairs a day and never see it lessen.
If I shave it seems they are thicker & grow back quicker, but at least they are all gone for 12 hours.
These hairs are darker than the rest of my hair and if I don't pluck them they loop back into the skin and get infected.
I can't afford hair removal treatments.
The only time I don't have problems is during my cycle. And no my doctor & my insurance won't put my on estrogen for this "cosmetic" issue.

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 11:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Health

• Estrogen? How old are you? There are lots of different health reasons for excessive facial hair. If you're older, it could be a lack of hormones, then you might need to be placed on HRT. If you are younger and are taking BC pills, the wrong combination can also cause this. It could also be a lack of or too much testosterone production. Testosterone therapy is a very iffy practice right now though.. as some Dr's believe in it, where others do not. There are certain pills on the $4.00 list at Walmart though, so it really is not that expensive if you need something like that. I would see your Dr. to make a definite medical diagnosis.

Still if you don't want to do any of the above suggestions, you could get an epilator. You can get those at Target, Sally's or even somewhere like TJ Maxx.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• If I were you, I would wax it myself. Do it at night. I have a Sally Hansen wax that I wax my upper lip with and it comes with a cooling cream so it doesn't stay red very long.

And I can't resist but to add, my mom's best friend who just passed away (RIP Maw Maw!) totally had a goatee. I'm not talking a few hairs but enough to make pubescent boys jealous! She was always like "IDGAF! If they don't like it, they ain't gotta look!"

I completely understand being self conscious about it though.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I'm in my mid 30s and I have always been fairly hairy. All this started when I was put on BC (and I've switched types about 5 times) at 25. After my 2 1/3yr old was born it got worse when I went back on BC.

I've tried different waxes, but so far all of the cooling creams have either soy, aloe, camomile or lavender in it which I am allergic to. This means my face breaks out in hives.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Is using condoms instead of a hormonal birth control an option?
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I'm only on BC to regulate my cycles. Otherwise I'm on it for 19 days and off for 90. Been this way since I was 14.
    DH was fixed two years ago.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2011