How do I get my two year old and a regular sleep schedule?

She was my first and I made a lot of mistakes as I feel most parents do witht the first, and one of those was not ever enforcing bedtime, now at 2.5 if she has a nap at all she is up until midnight, if she doesnt have a nap she goes to bed at 8 but is up at 10pm till midnight, it is hard cause she and my 15 month old share a room and if I leave her in there she will turn on the light and start to play which keeps my 15 month who is sleep trained awake....

heather.green87

Asked by heather.green87 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be consistent. Maybe set up a playpen or a bed in your room for the 15 month old till you can get the 2 yr old on a schedule. That's what I actually recently done with my 3 yr old at 18 month old. Sounds like she doesn't need anymore naps, so eliminate those. If she gets up put her right back into her own bed and shut off the lights and tell her to stay in bed and go back to sleep. Continue to do this over and over until she starts listening. It takes a lot of patience. Good Luck!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would start a schedule all through the day...dont let her have a nap after a certain time of day...say she wakes up at 8..dont let her have a nap after 2 and only let her sleep a certain amount of time. put a bedtime routine into place. start the same time every night in the same order...snack, bath, brush, story, bedtime. It may take a while but eventually she will catch on.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I agree with most of what has been said already, but I might just add that you are likely going to have to wake her earlier and at the same time every morning.
    She will be more ready for bed at the righ time then.
    Be consistent and soon she will be your alarm clock :).
    YouCanDoMom

Answer by YouCanDoMom at 11:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I kinda did this...oh the memories! i slowly decreased bedtime till it was around 8P.....At these ages its not that hard you just need to be consitant. If need be wake them up a little earlier everyday. Be strict about bed time and that they must lay down. Establish a betime routine(not sure if you have one) When I started the routine it was rough for a while to establish a really good one. AT the time they were going to bed around 11P! OMG...LOL My son was 2 1/2and his sister a little over 1. I made mistakes too! Boy did I pay as I got them on a schedule but when all said and done you will breathe a SIGH of relief!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have this problem with my 3 yr old!! He had always had a set routine but with some changes in life, his routine seemingly went out the window! We are almost back on track now, but all I can say is schedule, schedule, schedule. Same thing day in and day out! BUT if you DO find a MIRACLE remedy...please be sure to let us know!!!!! LOL
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 3:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• ask the ped about giving her meletonin to help with the new sleep schedule?
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2011