starting kindergarten question...

I am having anxiety about my daughter starting kindergarten ... She will turn 5 on July 27th .. the cut off date is Aug 1st.... from what i have read the only requirments is that she has to be of age by that date ( we live in ohio) and even though they recomend them waiting until the following year if their birthday is of the summer months ( but not required to wait ) ....

My daughter is smart, she talks very well and to sit and talk to her you would think you were talking to a 7 year old.... she is just now learning her letters and she knows what letters are which... but she cannot write them ( some she can but usually you cannot tell what they are), she can count to 20 but she only knows what some of the numbers look like ( like if I would show her pictures she wouldnt know which are which besides maybe 5 or 6 of them) ......

Also she is completly potty trained and has been since she was 2 ( with no accidents) .... but she can never pull her pants up right ( she hardly ever pulls her underwear up right) and she cant fasten jeans......

I think we should wait another year before we start her... and send her to preschool 3 days week for now....because she has also never been a day without me, and I think that is going to be a huge thing ( for both of us) .......but of course my husband is a huge ass and wont even listen to me ( he says she will be "behind for her age if we wait" )

I also think of things like... if we waited until next year our son will be a grade under her and i think that would be better to keep them close in school because for field trips and stuff ( they usually pair up the two grades for field trips) ..not to mention two of my friends who have kids her age ( and they have grown up together) wont be going until next year ( both of their b-days are after Aug. 1) .... and I think it would be easier for her to go if she knows other kids that are going too....

What do you think ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly, I think that there is still 6-7 months now before you have to decide. At this age, kids change and learn things so fast, that while you may not think she is ready right now, in 4-5 months from now, she may be 100% ready. Is there anyway she could do a preschool program this spring just to get an idea of where she is at and to get use to being without you? I would want until it is closer time for kindergarten registration before making a final decision.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Your gut is telling you something BUT...my son is August 23 and we sent him at 5. He had a GREAT preschool though and he learned to write his name, alphabet and numbers to 100. Really, it's a question of can she get through the day and feel socially comfortable. She'll learn FAST to pull up her pants correctly. My worry is your worry and still is. So far, my son is doing really well in grade one (now) but I always have concerns because I focus on where he's falling short. When I ask the teacher, she doesn't have a worry in the world about him. Our preschool teacher drilled it into us that my son would be bored repeating. What about if you step up the days in preschool this year, for the rest of the year for her. See how she does (you can always go back down). Ultimately, I know I would have felt better if we'd waited...but so far so good. Good Luck, tough choice. Really read your kid and decide....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my son was July 16th and I would of never waited the next year unless I felt he was really emotionally immature or not academically ready. My son knew the basics not like advanced. i did not want to pay another yr of preschool for the same stuff over. I was concerned about my son going to the bathroom because with #2 he sometimes had accidents so that freaked me out but I hoped for the best and he started and had maybe a few pee accidents which is normal in kinder but never had issues with #2. he LOVED school!!! he did fine and just loved learning and being around friends. He is now in 2nd grade.

I was a SAHM at the time my son went and I cried but I am against holding them back when its really mom who has the issue. More than likly your child will be fine its you that may not be. I cried anytime I passed my sons school as the weeks approached closer and closer. He did fine it was me:( LOl
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Most of the things that you are concerned about , her knowing certain things and not others. Kindergarten teachers are very ready for all of that. They will test them the first week or so of school and they will help her where she needs help. Since she has never been to a preschool, a few hours a day a few days aweek to learn and be accustomed to go to school and being away from you. That could make a big difference especailly for a girl that learn fast. I think that because you are concerned you shoudl wait and send her to a preschool and enroll her next year in kindergarten. Good luck
    briansmom123

Answer by briansmom123 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I would send him. Same thing happened with my youngest for preschool. They had to be 3 by Dec. 2 and she turned 3 nov 14, but she was deffently ready for that and she loves school . my oldest just started Kinder this fall. so if u think ur sons ready I say go for it. like JeremysMom said u still have a few months before and kids do cahnge alot in just though few months
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I would send her. I'm sure she will do great and suprise the heck out of you!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:48 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldnt worry about it til time got closerfor him togo. My dd is in kindergarten this year and she didnt turn 5 until August 6 and school started August 3 and she loves it and is doing very well.
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I followed in a friend's footsteps when making the same decision. Her DD had a summer birthday, and her thinking was, did she want her DD being one of the youngest kids in the class, and potentially being easier to persuade to try things she shouldn't, or did she want her DD to be one of the oldest, and have a little more maturity, and be able to say "no" easier when having bad things put before her?

But along with that, my DD had never gone to daycare or anything, so even though she was ready academically, she was NOT ready socially - she needed that (extra) year of preschool to get her socialization skills up to par. And once we started her in her 2nd year of preschool we found out that a LOT of the kids her age were being held back (starting kindergarten at 6 or almost 6 instead of barely 5). I'm glad I made the choice to wait with her - she too will have her little brother back-to-back in school with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• My oldest daughter has a summer birthday, and she was not readu for kinderfgarden. She was really smart, but her writing was not up to par, ande she was not mature enough. She repeated preschool and ended up being the oldest in her class. She is in high school now, and I am very glad I did it for her. My husband wanted to push her ahead, but I stuck to my instincts based on what I knew what would be best for her. I don't agree with pushing a child too hard into somwthing they are not ready for. If you think she is ready, that is another story. From you description though, it sounds like she's not ready now. If she makes a lot of progress in a few months, it might be a different story. If she hasn'r been to school yet, though, you may wan't to start in a 5 day preschool.
    KrazyChick

Answer by KrazyChick at 1:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Continuing from my previous answer, I have a younger daughter who started kindergarten last fall at age 5. She had been writing perfect letters since age 4, knew her alphabet letters and sounds since 3 and her numbers. She was very bored and skipped straight to first grade. The point is. It all depends upon the child. They will let you know if it is too hard or too easy for them.
    KrazyChick

Answer by KrazyChick at 1:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2011