3 weeks postpartum...

I just had my daughter 3 weeks ago tomorrow. My doctor noted on my hospital release form to wait until 4 weeks to have sex. Well last night we got caught up in a moment as its been 3 weeks since we've had sex, and well needless to say we didn't exactly make it waiting to 4 weeks. We didn't use a condom and obviously I am not on any birth control yet. I know not the smartest move on our parts. We do want a third child but definitely not this soon. I went out and got condoms today even. I guess my questions is how likely am I to get pregnant based on the info? I am partial breastfeeding if that matters at all? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 11:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It is possible.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• It's possible but unlikely for you to get pregnant right now, especially if you are still bleeding. Definitely use protection from here on out and I would test here in a few weeks just to be sure. Definitely use condoms until you have been on BC for a month. And breastfeeding CAN BE birth control but it not at all reliable because it only works for some women (I exclusively BF and ovulated the first time when my dd was less than 2 months old)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I know of one set of Irish twins-- born 11 months apart, so there is a possibility, albeit very low. Most women resume their cycle in about 3 months even if they don't breastfeed, but that means that they ovulated that second month.

The probability of you being pregnant again so soon is minimal, so I wouldn't worry too much. But you go girl! I was so not into it for almost 3 months afterward! :D
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• ur very fertile aftet having a baby. Not smart
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I have a girlfriend who's boys are 9 .5 months apart! Scary!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 12:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• most likely you are fine but use condoms next time.....You are fertile but we always had sex 3 weeks postpartum and never got pregnant that soon. its easy to get caught up in the moment....Test in a few weeks ifreally concerned.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I EBFed, and my period came back 4 weeks post partum. You can definitely get pregnant in that time. You can't change it now, but definitely be careful in the future!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:36 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It certainly is possible. I can understand not waiting the allotted time my hubby and I do not. Make sure from here on out you use birth control and you will just have to wait and see.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It is possible but in my opinion unlikely. And we never have waited until the given ok date by the Dr either lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It is very possible... you never know when your cycle will start back up...
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2011