How often for date night?

Hubby and I are trying to rekindle what we lost to see if we can bring happiness instead of just routine into our marriage. Aside from counseling, we decided to do a date night...a frequent outside the home thing so its not just "making time for sex." Should date night be a weekly thing...one day a week? Should it be twice a month or once a month? Just the two of us...for how long? What is considered normal with the dating scene?

Imortlmommy

Asked by Imortlmommy at 11:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd aim for twice a month--dinner, movie, the museum, whatever.
    Also, while trying to rekindle: try being more loving, even if you're not in the mood. It helps, I don't know why, but when you feel love loss is when you should give love.
    Anonymous

• I'm with Anon here. Twice a month.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 12:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• That is a very subjective question. Your needs will not be the same as enyone else on this forums.
    You will have to use some trial and error.

First, is it possible to have a date night every week(financially and timewise)?
    If the answer is yes, then go for it!
    Find what makes you two tick and do what the other person would like to do.
    You can do a lot of things on a dime. If you need talk time...just make time for it at home.
    Set a certain time aside and let nothing stop you (I know-easier said than done!)
    Like sports? Games? play together...laugh together...share together...

You will have to determine what a good relationship means to both of you and start there.
    Sounds like a great topic for your next date!

Many Best Wishes as You Seek To Improve Your Marriage!
    Good For You!
    YouCanDoMom

Answer by YouCanDoMom at 12:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Hardly ever. We don't really like to leave our boy with anyone, but we went out twice last year, to see a couple of shows. I made arrangements with a friend to watch him next Saturday and we're going to see a movie and out to dinner. But honestly, it's not to rekindle anything, it's just to go out and have a good time.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't have the same problem but we date when we can. I consider going out anywhere with him as a date. It doesn't have to be something with great expectations. It's about being happy to spend time with each other. It could be a dinner out with the kids, a group event with friends, a collaborative grocery shopping experience. It is rare that we have a babysitter and go out just the two of us. I do miss it but we are happy just living life together. Dates are fun but don't let it be something that stresses you both out (money, dressing up, time). Just try to make every minute you spend together enjoyable.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Oops, sorry didn't really answer your question...not really that experienced with date nights anyway as you can tell. :)
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We consider any time without the little one around to be a date. Most weeks we go out for a quick breakfast the day our son's school has a bagel breakfast, that is our usual date. Once in a while when hubby has the day off we will go out for a nicer breakfast at a sit down restaurant while our little man is at school, if we have time we will even get a quick trip to the local botanical garden in before it is time to pick the little one up from school. We have no family near us so this is as close to a date as we have had since our little man was born, but we make a point to make time for us a priority.

I guess what I am saying is it doesn't have to be anything big and it doesn't have to be all the time, just whatever works for you two. Our breakfast dates are a new thing as our son hasn't been in preschool very long. Before that we used to get a bottle of wine and sit on the patio as a date, we still do this sometimes.
    bakergeek

Answer by bakergeek at 12:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• we try and go once a month.
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 1:05 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• We try and have a date night once a week but it all depends on if we have extra money. It usually cost us about 120 to put them in day care for a couple of hours.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:17 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I don't do date night. Money is a factor for us and spending $100 on one night is not appealing to us. We talk about it but nothing comes out of it. Going to the grocery store together is hard enough yet alone a whole night. We spend so much time together that we can finish each others sentences. LOL

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 2:04 AM on Jan. 3, 2011