how do I get my 1 yo to sleep through the night?

He is crying right have, i have No idea how to get him to sleep all the way through. He always wakes up between 10 and. 12 and. Comes sleeps in my bed to nurse for the rest of the night. Sorry for spelling i am on my mobile.

noahsmommy16

Asked by noahsmommy16 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I finally just provided water in a sippy cup at night - no nursing - after 2 nights he slept through. good luck
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 12:02 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• Well I did cio with my kids when they were 12mos. Some are against this but if consitant it really works. Its hard with nursing because thats just a nurture thing. i BF and would bf them when they woke for like 10-15min then place them back in bed. I could check on them every 5-15min till they went to sleep.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• When sleep research stopped relying on parents reporting how their children sleep and started recording how children actually sleep, and they found some very frightening reality.

Children wake periodically through the night, based entirely on when and if they need something: food, reassurance that they're safe, love, water, et cetera. There is nothing at all that anyone anywhere can do about that --when children need something, it's because they need it. You can't feed them in advance of their hunger anymore than you can hug them in advance of their nightmares to make them feel safe.

In recorded studies, children wake --whether or not their parents wake, and whether or not they make any noise. Even very young children can learn not to bother seeking help with what they need when they know that no one cares to help.

You can't 'make' a child sleep through hunger, fear or thirst.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:16 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't even try, I would just keep him in the bed with me and learn to sleep through when he nurses.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• But, I don't want to endanger my child. I am SO tired lately I am afraid of rolling over on him, or something like that. Also, I don't want him to be ten and still sleeping in my bed.
    noahsmommy16

Comment by noahsmommy16 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011